1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptop, Display Turns to Static/System Freezes, Dell Can't Fix

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ktlogan1981, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktlogan1981

ktlogan1981 Thread Starter

Hi there. I bought a Dell Inspiron 17R-5720 back in September 2012, and have been having this issue pretty much since I bought it from Amazon. The computer is running Windows 7 64 Bit, 6 GB RAM, Intel Core i5-3210M @ 2.50 GHz. I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed and run scans regularly.

Pretty much what happens is that the screen will turn to colored static, and the computer will be unresponsive. In order to make the machine usable again the power button must be held down and the computer restarted. The odd thing about it is that it almost always happens when I am in the process of moving the laptop from one place to another. For example moving the computer from my lap to the table next to me. It has happened once or twice when I just touched the computer while it was on the table next to me. A few times the screen just turned black.

Since it is still under warranty, I called Dell support and they sent out a technician, who didn't seem to do any sort of troubleshooting. He replaced the motherboard and the LCD display. This of course did not fix the problem, so I called Dell again. This time, they had me send the computer to them. They received and sent it out the very same day, again, it doesn't seem that they did any real troubleshooting. When the same malfunction cropped up again, I of course called Dell and they said that when they received the laptop there was some sort of cable inside that was "loose", so the connected this cable and sent it back to me. Since the issue is intermittent, it seems to me that they should have at least done a little more investigating to make sure that the computer was fixed before sending it out again. As of right now, the problem seems to be getting progressively worse. It used to happen two to three times a week, now it's two to three times a day.

So now they are sending out a technician to my house again (this Friday), this time to replace the LCD display again. I really don't see the point of this since it didn't work the first time. On my own I have tried to update the video driver, which had no effect, I also tried to update the BIOS, but the system wouldn't let me since it said that I had the current version.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this is and how to fix it? I am guessing that Dell is just giving me the run around until the warranty expires. I asked them about a refund or a replacement computer, of course they said no.

Also, here's a horrible picture of what the screen looks like when this happens:

[​IMG]

2. ktlogan1981

ktlogan1981 Thread Starter

The technician Dell sent came to my house today. He replaced the motherboard (again), the LCD screen (again), and the hard drive. Fast forward five hours later, and guess what? The problem still hasn't been fixed. I just got off the phone with Dell support, of course their first suggestion was to send the computer in again and have them "fix" it. It took about an hour of going back and forth being on hold/arguing before they finally said they would "elevate" my case and and have someone call me on Monday to discuss it. I think I've given them plenty of chances to solve this, now I just want a replacement computer. Though with their track record, I'm not holding my breath. I'm even doubting that I'll get a phone call.

Does anyone think that this is power supply related? Not the power cord itself (I've used two different cords), but whatever is inside that powers the system. Sorry, I'm not that computer savvy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice