1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell laptop display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goiter, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goiter

goiter Thread Starter

i have a used dell laptop c640 that is giving me display problems. During boot the display for the bios is one quarter the size of the screen, the whole picture is there but small fonts and display. In the bios i could'nt find an adjustment for video at all. I reinstalled XP and all through the installation the screen size was small. After it installed i could adjust the resolution to fit the screen, Now the screen is full size but the colors seem off, the icons are sharp and the fonts are good but the display somehow is bad. Does anyone know why the initial boot is small cause i think this is the root of my problem. i have flashed the bios but still have the same problem.

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

I would guess you dont have the right xp drivers installed, or you need to change the screen resolution. Right click on the desktop, go to properties, and change the display to at least 16 bit color. You might also need to change the amount of memory allocated to the video in the bios, this would apply if the laptop uses main system memory for the display. If you dont have enough memory allocated, it can only display with fewer colors and it might also explain the tiny screen you get during setup. Try this page for dell display drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...s=dhs&SystemID=LAT_PNT_P4N_C640&os=WW1&osl=EN

3. goiter

goiter Thread Starter

Driver installed is the dell driver and colors ar set to 32 bit with a screen resolution of 1024x768 pixels. The video driver should not be the problem as the bios setup screen also has this problem and this runs off the bios video driver before the windows driver is initialized. The bios screen is about the same size as the "display properties" window, like i said everything is there just real small.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice