1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptop DMA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjmoff, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjmoff

tjmoff Thread Starter

I have a Dell inspiron 3500 laptop that I receently had to format and reinstall 98 on due to a virus. All went well until I went to enable DMA for my Dvd drive. I check the box in Device manager, it prompts me to reboot. Upon rebooting, I look at dma to see if it is still checked and it is not. Dell support claims dma is not available for this model when using original windows media for installation. Inspiron 3500, Pentium II 333, 192 mb ram, 6gb udma 33 toshiba, toshiba dvd-rom, margi dvd-to-go pcmcia decoder, Win98 SE.
    Dell support also claims that the recovery disk will allow this option, where-as the original 98 disk installation will not. There is no drivers available on their site for the ide bus-master. I have replaced the hard drive and the dvd to no avail, also things support claimed were "bad". I have gotten nowhere trying to find out who actually manufactured the mobo for this model. Is there anything I can do to get this to work. This system used to play dvds beautifully with the decoder card, now they can't be played with or without it. HELP!!!

2. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Im not very laptop literate but I think you should try getting the latest device drivers for your hardware on another pc via floppy. Then remove the old device driver and reinstall......Do Not attempt to update cause this too can also cause more problems. I hope this helps.

3. deuce

deuce

This DVD drive came with the laptop right? Or is it an after market addition? Laptops don't use DMA. UltraDMA, which is the same as UltraATA (a.k.a. DMA) are used as intarface platforms for desktops and servers. Laptops use SCSI. (Small Computer Systems Interface) If your bios has the option to check SCSI, check that, otherwise it should work ok if you just uncheck the DMA option.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice