1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptop does not Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dudem, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudem

dudem Thread Starter

Hi All
    Here is my dilemma
    Dell latitude CPx does not boot or go to POST.
    At first I was able to boot and the computer would freeze up in the windows.
    then I was only able to boot after pressing the power on button 5 or 6 times. and even then it would freeze after a few minutes.
    I was able to get to the setup only a few times and have changed the boot sequence to Disk, CD and HD
    I can not even get the Dell self diagnostic started.
    Only once the diagnostic started but then it froze while loading some file.
    I removed the memory, battery, all drives and try starting the computer.
    I got the three light sequence that said I have no NVRAM. so I put back the memory card.
    Now I get the lights flashin once and the system dies. I may be able to get to post if I try 20 or thirty times pressing the power on button. Please Help I am willing to try anything Dell support has put me on the eternal hold.:mad:
    PS. How can I reset the bios?

Thank you

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi dudem

If your Laptop is under warranty I would stay with the Dell support. It sounds like the motherboard, memory, or processor may be shot or may require reseating. Have you tried powering up the PC with the battery removed, using only the AC adaptor for power? Usually Dell support is pretty fast.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice