1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptop Hard Disk Crashed -- Help needed

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Techyy, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techyy

Techyy Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Last week I found my Laptop was hanging/lagging as soon as i get my Desktop screen. At first i thought it should be a Virus problem, but i had latest Kaspersky Internet security software. When i ran it, laptop freezes. Booted the laptop in safe mode and tried uninstalling few memory consuming programs, still no luck.

Ran Dell memory test and found a problem with Hard disk. I had 4 partitions(c:\ is primary where OS is installed). I formatted the C:\ drive and tried re-installing Windows Vista, but it was an failure, I tried this more than 10 times in different ways.

I had second thought to connect this Hard Disk to another computer as secondary drive and to move data to other drive. So I bought a new Hard Drive and Installed vista on it and it works fine.

I bought 2.5" Hard Disk connector and connected to laptop. It showed as Mass storage device connected, but when i went to "My Computer" I could not see the any other drives except the new drive.

I went to Disk Management and found the crashed drive and it showed as "Unallocated"

I seeked help of an expert but he said it will very expensive (>3500$) which is not affordable. I need an help. I have helped many of them in this forum to resolve their issues, lemme see if someone can help me on this.

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Can you hear the old drive spin?

Often the platter with the data is fine on a crashed drive..............so you buy an identical drive..and take the board from it and put it in the old drive..if no luck then change the head.

3. Techyy

Techyy Thread Starter

Yes When i connect the drive with external converter i hear platter spinning noise.

My last option is what you have suggested, but still am looking out for some suggestions that gimme a clue to get something out of my brain to recover the data of my own.

If no luck, i gonna go for changing the Head. I am very carefully handling this issue, because i have my 10 years of hard earned technical data collection and documents in this crashed harddrive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice