1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptop HD upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjed0, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjed0

mjed0 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Latitude CPx laptop with a 6 GB HD and wish to upgrade to a 30 - 40 GB HD if possible. Just wondering if anyone knows the largest HD that would be compatable. Same basic question with regard to the ram, I think the max upgrade I can go is 512 megs which is what I'll do, but out of curiousity what would happen if more than 512 were placed in the laptop?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. norton850

norton850

According to Crucial.com you are correct that the total RAM would be 512MB of PC133 SDRAM with a maximum of 256 per slot. If you put more than that it in it will not recognize all of the RAM or it's possible it won't work. For example if you put one 256MB stick in and one 512MB stick you probably would only show 256MB.

As far as the HD it's a little harder to answer. My "guess" is that 30MB would be fine based on your laptop date. The Dell forum (a good place to post your question) suggests that 40MB or 60MB would be OK also.

3. mjed0

mjed0 Thread Starter

Thanks alot for that Norton850, I was thinking about going for 512 in the form of 1 stick but judging by what you said that would be a waste of time and money. My thinking was that the 1 stick of 512 would be useful in the future whenever I get a more modern laptop and I'd simply have to get another 512 to make 1gig of ram. Bearing in mind what you said I'll go with the 2 sticks of 256 and save myself the grief.

As far as the HD goes, I'll do some more research and see what I can find out before I purchase anything. Thanks again!

Dan

4. bigbear

bigbear

You could always use an external hard drive for more space, probably cheaper than an internal upgrade

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice