1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell laptop Inspiron 1100 won't stay going

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robert1, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

My laptop fan comes on briefly, the power light also comes on green briefly, then shuts down. The power light continues to slowly blink until I press it for a second, then it too shuts off. If I hold it down for a few seconds, I can hear a faint click, and it resumes slowly flashing. But it won't start.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem. I did have the same problem a few weeks ago, and took it into a computer repair shop for repair. They gave it back to me, saying there was nothing wrong with it. And indeed it worked fine again: until this morning.

Would this have anything to do with the fact that I recently started shutting down the power to the transformer when it was turned off? My idea was to save on the electricity being used by the transformer when the computer was not being used. But now I'm thinking that wasn't such a good idea especially given that the transformer really doesn't use a great deal of power in the great scheme of things.

If anyone could help me get machine going again I would appreciate it. This machine is now about three or four years old and has given sterling service until now! I'm hoping I don't have to retire it yet!

All my best to the tech support guys on a very snowy March morning (here in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario it's pretty snowy anyway!)

Robert

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It would have no relationship to powering down the power brick. The switchmode bricks have a power consumption (when not in use) of almost nothing, so you might save 10 cents a year by powering it off at the wall.

Unless the problem is that the DC input socket is damaged and the battery is actually now flat, it sounds like a motherboard problem.

Even the DC socket issue is still a motherboard problem.

Sounds like repair time to me, or replace if costs are uneconomic.

3. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Thanks Kiwiguy:

Well, I had a thought (happens occasionally): I disconnected the power supply from the computer and started it on battery power alone. Well, lo, it started up quite nicely!

I looked at the power module: that tells me the battery is 97% charged, so seems to me the battery is good.

Looks to me like it gets confused if it is disconnected from the mains while it is shut down, and then recognizes neither the mains nor battery when the mains are reconnected. I find that puzzling!

Anyway, you are quite right: from now on I am going to leave it plugged into the mains all the time. Global warming is an issue but ten cents worth of electricity isn't going to do much for that problem!

By the way, if I understand your nickname correctly, you are a New Zealander: I am going to be in your neck of the woods in another month. I am visiting a relative in Australia (lives near Brisbane) in April.

All best to you: thanks for coming back to me!

Robert

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Hi
    Glad it is working - but a word of warning.

If it is a dodgy DC power jack on the back of the laptop, that prevents the power from the adapter getting to the laptop, then PLEASE get it fixed, it will destroy the motherboard is left.

One simple way to check would be to remove the battery from the laptop and use the AC adapter only, if no problems occur over a period then all is well. If you get suddeen shutdowns, then that is where the problem is, and these problems usually destroy the motherboard unless reppaired immediately (heat from the poor connection).

Hope you enjoy Australia, but remember they descended from convicts over there!

In fact you still have to state on the immigration form as to having a criminal conviction or not, you would think after all these years it would not be mandatory to have one to still get in!

I have a Brother that is an Australian, but I tell people he is a male prostitute, It is too embarrassing to say he is an Australian.

As you can tell, we are two entirely separate countries, the rivalry is very high. Don't even mention Rugby or Cricket.

I will be flying over to Brisbane next week for a meeting, about a 3.5 hour flight from here.

5. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

The fact that the system works without the AC adapter connected tells me the problem is either with the AC adapter itself or the power supply (part of the motherboard). I second the suggestion of trying the system with AC power only (battery removed) as that tests the motherboard.

If you have another AC adapter you can test your system with that would also help identify the problem. With the AC adapter plugged into the wall, but not the computer, check to see if the green LED is on solid. If it is not on, or it is blinking, then the AC adapter is probably the problem. If the light is on, but goes out or starts blinking when plugged into the computer it might be the AC adapter, but is more likely to be the motherboard.

If you had any questions about the system or the problem you are having with it, I will be more than happy to provide any help I can.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

6. Robert1

Robert1 Thread Starter

Hi Larry:

Thanks for coming back to me. I did try Kiwiguy's suggestion of running without the battery: and it worked quite well - for hours at a time in fact!

The adaptor light is a solid green, whether or not it is plugged into the machine.

Whatever: if the mains is shut off while the computer is off, the only way to get it going again is to start it with the mains disconnected from the back of the machine.

However, may be developing issues other than this: I've noticed in the last few months a chirping sound: the first time I heard it I literally thought it was birds outside my window and looked for them outside, as it is unusual to hear such this time of year. But no birds! Then I put my ear to the machine and realized the sound was coming from there! Hard drive going wonky maybe? Anyway, probably time to start transferring my important files to another machine!

Kudos to the Dell organization! For a machine that did not cost much, it has served me very well!

Take care, all best,
    Robert

7. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

Since it works on battery only and on AC power only (no battery) that tells me the problem is something with the power-supply/charger board (that recharges the battery from AC power) portion of the motherboard. Unfortunately, I believe replacing the motherboard is the only way to fix the problem.

If you would like for me to verify the warranty status of the system just send me the service tag via email ([email protected] with 'ATTN: Larry' in the subject) or PM here on the forums.

At the worst, an out of warranty repair through Dell would cost you the depot service fee plus the cost of the motherboard. I don't know the exact costs for an out of warranty service in Canada, but I can easily find out once I have the service tag.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice