Dell Laptop Power cord issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rkwilliams

My letter to Mr. Michael Dell

Dear Mr. Dell,
I realize that there is an extremely small chance of this letter ever reaching your desk, and I guess that is the reason I have never written a letter of 'issue' or 'complaint' to a company. I have little faith that it will ever make a difference.
However, I am so extremely disappointed.... at the moment, and I feel I must do 'something' for my own peace of mind.....
I am a single mom ... raising 2 kids, alone. I have 4 desktop computers ("hand me downs" from friends). I have been able to fix almost every single problem that has ever occured.......with all my desktops. I have replaced fans..... installed hardware....set up a complete wireless networking system etc.. (I understand this may not be impressive to you, but I have had no computer classes or nor have I ever been taught anything....)
Six months ago I made the decision to purchase a laptop. I was looking for small... convenient and inexpensive. This would just be a luxury for me to check email and have a few files on hand for when I go somewhere.
I did a lot of research... and talked to several friends... My brother has 2 HP's and loves them... but he started having problems with one of them (it was TWO years old)....I wanted a more 'reliable' laptop....... LONG story short... I decided on DELL...
I purchased the Dell 1000 (service tag # 8MFXZ51) on Feb. 19.
It has been less than six months and a few days ago I started having problems with the powercord. The connection became 'loose'....I would jiggle the adapter/prong and it would be ok...
Last night, it completely turned off and the 'jiggle'would not work anymore. I purchased a new powercord...and it did not work.
I spent all morning on the phone with technical support and on the computer (MY HP) trying to figure out what to do. I find out that my warranty ran out after 3 months.... I was told that the 'mother board' needs to be replaced and that it would cost $349.00. I am in total and complete shock. There is NO WAY (even IF I HAD the money) that I would invest that much more money in a computer that I do not believe in.
I have not even had the laptop for 6 months <??> I was using the laptop to create scrapbooks for my sons baseball team. I had scanned over 300 pictures that the parents had got together for me..... and I was supposed to have everything ready by Thursday. Needless to say, I never expected this situation to happen, and I am not ONLY out of a computer but I have lost 3 weeks of work and will not be able to have the scrapbooks in time for our party.
The saddest part of this whole situation.... is.... I DO NOT THINK IT IS THE MOTHER BOARD>. the back connection is loose.... it is the CONNECTION that will not let the power get to the computer and CHARGE the battery!!!!!
. I tried to explain this to the DELL technicians.... and they proceeded to tell me that... they were 'not authorized' to tell me it is the 'connection'... and that they can give me a deal of $299.00 to repair the MOTHER BOARD>
I just do NOT understand this. I have been reading all the comments on the dell website community boards... and it appears that this is a HUGE problem... and I am not the only person to ever complain.
I know that my situation is no less/more important than anyone else, but I can't remember ....EVER ...being this disappointed in a product that I have purchased. And for the service / help I have received.
I will never ...EVER purchase another Dell... and although, I have never been a 'trouble maker' or CRUSADER.... I will be sure that anyone ever needing a computer, and asking my advice... will NOT be advised to buy a DELL.
thank you for your time,

Usually the "connection" for the power is actually part of the motherboard on a laptop.

Not an uncommon problem generically on a laptop, its often repairable if acted on immediately, severe motherboard damage can occur when its left to get worse.

3 month warranty?
Dell come with a standard 1 year warranty here.

In NZ we also have the "Consumers Guarantee Act" which makes manufacturers liable for a "reasonable life" irrespective of the warranty, if the device is purchased for home or personal use.

rkwilliams

I thought I had a year warranty ... but I found out (the hard way) that it was only 3 months.
My daughter had the exact same problem with her power cord on her toshiba...we bought 2 new cords and it worked fine with the new ones about 3 months (each)...She took it to a computer shop (it was over two years old==and her two year warranty was out)...they told her it was the motherboard and that it would cost $400.00 to replace...she was very upset... and then...One day when she was out of town... a friend of hers wanted to look at the problem.. he...took off the bottom... re-positioned the little 'prong' thing that the cord hooks into...and it has worked perfectly ever since..(that was a over a year AGO).... (I am typing on it now..)
I am just so discouraged. I didn't expect this to happen on a computer less than 6 months old. If I would have wanted to invest another $368.00 in a computer.. I would have gotten a better model!!!! (I just got the Dell basic 1100) OR..... definitely a better waranty...:(

Once the contacts in the connection get loose or broken, they usually overheat and cause the motherboard damage.

Up to that point they are repairable, but until they get it apart they would not know. Hence quoting a new motherboard is the safest way to proceed I guess. It may well be repairable now but you would need to throw some money at it to get it looked at.

Have you got a local repair tech there?

I see that Dell only offer 3 months warranty as Standard in the US, they could not do that here (and do not).

rkwilliams

I don't know anyone personally (repair tech)... we have several major stores that do repair work, but I was told that they really hesitate working on dell's... and it is more expensive. I sure wish Dell was forced to offer a ONE year warranty here.... I just really don't want to put more money into this computer...and not trust it... but I can not afford a new one either.. so??I guess I am just screwed. My daughters Toshiba works great... I wish that I had not decided on a DELL>

Ms Williams,

I have had the same problem on my previous HP laptop...twice. Generally (imo) the problem starts with an impact or jerk on the plug. User caused. :(

The plug design contributes to the problem in that the female plug structure on the MOBO is flimsy. My new HP laptop has a better designed plug.

The problem isn't really with the MOBO, but the little plastic plug housing that would probably cost $.50 at a parts store :mad:

Manufacturers don't want to repair a board...just replace it.

In my case, I took the adventurous route and opened up the laptop and repaired the cracked plastic plug housing with JB Weld Epoxy. Worked fine until...

One of my cats knocked it off of a footstool and broke it again. :eek: I repaired it again and it still works to this day :D

Are YOU adventurous???

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I posted a picture of a Compaq laptop MB that went up in smoke a while back here. It happened when the user ignored my advice to stop using it until the power connector was repaired. :)

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
I spent cumulatively around 65 hours, over two months time, with Dell TS, trying to figure out what the problem was with a dell dimension L600 that was <2y/o. I learned ALOT from tech support, but the problem persisted. Finally, after going through all the CD's that came with the thing, I found something called '32-bit diagnostics'.

I found out that my dell had hardware problems - including a real-time clock error. With a 3-year extended warranty about to expire, I got back on the phone. Dell tech support asked me WHY I RAN A 32-BIT DIAGNOSTIC. I thought for a moment, and said "YES". The camel jockey asked again, and I gave the same response. "Just send me another dell. Now!!!"

In the 35th month, I got a replacement dimension 2400. I took the build sheet to half a dozen 'mom n pop' pc shops to trade it in (unopened), and no one wanted it. Can you believe that? (LOL)

I've had it a year. Last month, I found out it's 'refurbished'. Last week, I found out it has 128k RAM (I think I'll need another RAMSTICK too).

By the way, it took me TWO letters to Michael Dell's office to get results. Never mind the warranty! They DIDN'T get their old one back, either, although they harassed me about it for 4 months.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online