1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptop Screen Dimming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deane_Barker, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deane_Barker

Deane_Barker Thread Starter

An employee here has a Dell Latitude, Model No. PP01X. It's about a year old.

It has a beautiful 15" screen. A noticeble reddish tinge showed up a few months ago. No big problems, just a reddish tinge in displayed white areas of the screen.

This morning, the screen went dim. Really, really dim -- like, stick your nose up against the screen and you can just barely see the mouse pointer, dim.

However, it doesn't go dim for a minute or two on reboot. If you reboot, it comes back up, bright as anything. About the time you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to login, it goes dim.

I hooked a CRT up to the docking station, and that displays just fine, which tells me that the video card is all right. It's dim whether it's docked or not, plugged in or on batteries.

I'm leaning against it being a hardware issue because on reboot, the screen comes up bright. The display hardware doesn't know if the machine is rebooting or not, so it should be dim all the time if that was the problem.

A search of Dell's Knowledge Base came up empty. Any debugging tips here?

Deane

2. sir_comp

sir_comp

Most likely it is a LCD problem. If it is under warnetty call dell.

3. Deane_Barker

Deane_Barker Thread Starter

I thought about that, but then why would it start out normal on reboot, then suddenly get dim? If it was a hardware problem, wouldn't it be dim all through POST and Windows startup?

Deane

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

It probably is a hardware problem and the display gets a good reset signal on a reboot. Try staying in the setup screen and booting in safe mode and see if the screen still dims. Also try pulling the battery and see if the screen stays bright running on AC only.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice