1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell laptop screen sometimes flickers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8nout, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

I thought it might be heat or video card going bad but symptons indicate otherwise. The strange thing is if it starts to flicker on a page, I can change to another page and the display is fine...go back to previous page and flicker immeadiatly starts again. It seems like certain incoming data causes the screen to flicker...is this possible? Thanks for any help...

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes, possible although it is usually indicative of the screen starting to go bad.
    It is somtimes caused by the screen ribbon connector working loose. If you feel capable of doing it, try carefully taking the Keyboard out (screws marked K on the bottom, I think). Be careful as there is a delicate ribbon cable attaching it to the motherboard.
    Under the keyboard, and just in front of the screen, you will see the flat ribbon cable(s) for the screen.
    Make sure the ends are seated properly.

3. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for the quick response.... I will try the ribbon cable tonight. That may be it as I've had the laptop apart a couple times trying to upgrade the video card and had no luck. I have a Dell ATI 7500 64mb that apparently won't work with my type of screen :( . so I had to go back to original 32mb mobility.

4. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

OK, re-seated ribbon cable but no help. I think it has someting to do with the data coming in. Like when I play on the Pokerstars site only the face cards seem to cause a problem. Maybe it's the data packet used indicate a certain face card? Never a problem with lower case cards. Is that possible?

5. DaveBurnett

It could be something in the data causing resonance in the drivers. It would be unlikely, but it is possible.

6. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Hi Dave, thanks for your time...I've narrowed the problem down to the images of face cards. When five face cards are displayed the screen just goes bonkers. I lose the bottoms two-thirds of the screen entirely and whats left just strobes wicked. As soon as the hand is over, the screen appears normal again. Beats me....if it is as you say with the drivers, is there anything I can do? I'm running the recommended drivers from the Dell. Thanks...
    ======================

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Inspiron 8000
    BIOS: Phoenix
    Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~900MHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 78MB used, 1457MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 4.09.0000.0904 32bit

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Mobility M4 (English)
    Manufacturer: ATI Tech. - Enhanced
    Chip type:
    DAC type:
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D46&SUBSYS_00A41028&REV_00\000800
    Display Memory: 32.0 MB
    Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit)(optimal refresh rate)
    Monitor: Default Monitor
    Monitor Max Res:
    Driver Name: ATI2DRAI.DRV
    Driver Version: 4.12.0001.1078 (English)

7. DaveBurnett

Just as a test and to see if it makes a difference, try dropping the colour depth on the drivers to 16bit and force the refresh rate to 60mhz. Test each change individually

8. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Dave, Thanks for all your time...I tried changing the settings to no avail. It did seem to get slightly better when I put the hardware accelerator slide to minimun. Anyway, I got disgusted, reformatted and changed OS to XP. No problems now...

This is a great site, has helped me many times. Being computer impaired as I am I'm sure it won't be long and "I'll be baaack!" ;)

9. DaveBurnett

What OS were you using?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/361847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice