Dell laptop screen went black, can barely see the logos

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stands

Hey all, I have a problem with my year old Dell Lattitude PIII 500 laptop. The screen is so black that I can barely make out the logos. I can't use the pc this way at all. I'm wondering if there are a combination of keystrokes that change this, or if it's a repair problem. Thanks for help

Stands

will see if we can move this on up to the help threads for you...random is a great place, but no E-Mail replies will be sent from here...do come back and visit tho... Rhett :)

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

I'll move this to the hardware thread. You may not have thought of this, but there are controls for brightness and contrast, usually above the keyboard as you look at the keyboard. Maybe it is as simply as changing those settings.

somewhere on the laptop there will be a little switch that blanks the screen when you shut the lid. It's possible for the switch to get coffee in it etc, see if you can find it and have a fiddle.

Also, it's possible for the backlight on the screen to fail, although I would have thought this more likely to happen gradually (unless the machine is dropped).

Kate

Hi Stands,

Check Display Properties / Settings / Advanced and see if you have a Gamma adjustment. Maybe this will help.

Spaceman

Originally posted by Rockn:
Sounds like the backlight for yor LCD has gone kaput.

It's Definately the Back Light!

Time for a repair shop to get it's hands on it.

Good luck!

ST

Unfortunately on a Dell the backlight is part of the LCD screen which costs Big Bucks. Perhaps your laptop is under warranty? Check the Dell web site to find out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online