Solved Dell laptop shut off, not booting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DanteMassimino

I own a Dell Inspiron 5500 laptop, or somewhere in that ballpark. I run Windows 10 on the computer.

I was playing a game on it not long ago (~1 hour, also the game was Undertale) and I tabbed out for a second to check something when the computer suddenly and unexpectedly shut down. I tried to start it up again and nothing, no lights or anything happen. My laptop has a bit of a history of kernel errors (BSOD followed by video_error_dxgkrnl or something alsong those lines) but only when playing certain games, such as TF2, Age of Empires 2, or Fallout 3. Some games, like Bioshock Infinite or Minecraft, worked completely fine. I have been tampering with drivers for forever and I thought I finally had it working, I was able to play TF2 for several hours with no problem this week. I have an Nvidia Geforce card, but I'm not sure which one. Then, just as I stay feeling good about myself, today happens. I have already tried unplugging, removing the battery, and holding down the power button for 30 seconds. It didn't work. Are there any other solutions or am I SOL?

I can try to provide more information on the computer but I am not particularly good with computers and I can't remember much.

Thank you!
-Dante

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I own a Dell Inspiron 5500 laptop, or somewhere in that ballpark
I run Windows 10 on the computer
I have an Nvidia Geforce card, but I'm not sure which one
There is no "Dell Inspiron 5500" model laptop.
What's the exact model number on yours?
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

DanteMassimino

What's the exact model number of that Dell laptop?
What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

The service tag is 8L8FZ52
The express service code is 18698230694

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The service tag is 8L8FZ52
The express service code is 18698230694
According to those numbers, you actually have THIS Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop.

According to its system configuration section, it shipped in August 2015 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

It has been tested for and does have full driver support for Windows 10.

According to its processor description(Intel Core i7-5500U) and driver downloads section, it has NVIDIA GeForce 920M and Intel HD Graphics 5500 graphic devices.

nvidia.JPG

intel.JPG

Saturable

Mark
It could be a host of problems. The only thing that would prevent booting is a bad battery, dead CPU, or dead motherboard. I assume you've tried to power it on via AC power in addition to battery alone. Does your laptop have a battery indicator light? Does it turn on when you plug in AC power?

DanteMassimino

Does your laptop have a battery indicator light? Does it turn on when you plug in AC power?
It does have an indicator light, it's not lighting up. Additionally, I just thought of this now. We had a pretty severe thunderstorm about 1 week ago, and we had a power loss/surge that lasted only a second or so (reset house clocks) and my computer unexpectedly shut down at that moment as well. It turned right back on when I pressed the power button then though so I didn't think much of it. I'm not sure if the power strip I'm plugged into has a surge protector. Could this be related?

Saturable

Mark
It does have an indicator light, it's not lighting up. Additionally, I just thought of this now. We had a pretty severe thunderstorm about 1 week ago, and we had a power loss/surge that lasted only a second or so (reset house clocks) and my computer unexpectedly shut down at that moment as well. It turned right back on when I pressed the power button then though so I didn't think much of it. I'm not sure if the power strip I'm plugged into has a surge protector. Could this be related?
It's possible, but you stated that you removed the battery and held the power button for over thirty seconds, which should discharge any residual static electricity in the motherboard. It's possible that it could've overloaded a circuit, but I'm not sure if it would have a delayed effect. That is, if something were to be fried, it wouldn't have powered on right after the power surge. But let's not rule that out just yet.

Instead, let's say a circuit has been overloaded. That would mean you'd need to open your laptop and inspect the motherboard carefully and check for any blown capacitors. When working with it, you should consider wearing an anti-static wristband, as you could unintentionally shock it to death even more. Electronics are, ironically, very sensitive to too much electricity passing through them.

If all is well, then it's possible that your battery light indicator isn't lighting up because the battery is fully charged (especially if you leave it plugged in all the time.) If you can manage to see that indicator light come on, then that means your system is at least able to receive power. If it never comes on, (usually it should come on in a few days due to natural discharge), then you may be looking at a replacement motherboard. Do you know if your warranty period is still active?

Saturable

Mark
Also—the video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error generally refers to a problem with your graphics card drivers. It's possible that your card has failed, but generally, it wouldn't prevent the entire system from booting. I will say, however, that I had a laptop that had a shorted-out keyboard (the LEDs shorted out) and the laptop would not start at all or show any signs of life while the LED cable was still plugged into the motherboard.

One more thing. Just out of curiosity: have you tried removing the battery, plugging in AC power, and trying to start it up that way?

DanteMassimino

The laptop is fairly new still (got it in August 2015) but I don't know my warranty situation.

Oh
My
God

No
Way

Okay you are never going to believe this and I am so sorry for wasting your time. Someone unplugged the power strip and I didn't even notice. I feel like a real genius right now I tell you what. I had the unplugged brightness all the way up because I was showing someone something a few days ago at work, and I forgot to turn it back down, so I didn't notice I was running on battery. Plus the computer didn't warn me that it was dying. Yet another case chalked up to human error I guess. You're great for trying to help me so much, thanks a huuuuge ton!

Saturable

Mark
Not a problem! I guess I should've considered Occam's razor. You can mark the topic as solved now to let other people know you no longer need assistance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online