Dell laptop (windows 7) taking forever to start then freezes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

amywindows2000

Windows 7 (64 bit) Dell Inspiron laptop freezing while starting
Hi,
I recently had a problem where my sound got disabled and it took me weeks to fix it, i downloaded the registry files for the audio because for some strange reason they were missing, once downloaded i had my sound back. On the pre-boot system assessment, I found out that i have one hard drive error called 'Error 2000-0146'. I have no other known errors, i have been using my laptop with this error and haven't had any problems yet, i don't know if the sound being disabled was connected to it?

The other day i went off to do something and left my laptop on and when i came back it was in sleep mode by itself which i don't normally let it do, i went on a few sites and things, then when i shut down it took about 5 mins. Now i cannot start it, starting it normally, it freezes on the welcome screen and is very slow. I tried safe mode after that and it worked, the next day i tried safe mode again and while loading the drivers, it froze. I managed to create another user account just to see if it made a difference, when i click on that user while logging in, i wait for about half an hour then keep pressing control alt delete, and the task manager comes up, i open a new task 'explorer' and i get my home screen. I tried doing a command prompt sfc /scannow, but it stopped at 12% and said Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. So i have my laptop on now but am scared to turn it off in case i cant get it back on again. I also tried a system restore and it says it was successful but no change to the problem.

amywindows2000

I cannot find the right download link to that.
I am now able to start it in safe mode and with networking. Starting it normal is now taking an hour and a half and sometimes i get a black screen with cursor after login and nothing happens. When it has come on it has been very slow going.

texasbullet

Ramon
If you have tried everything possible to fix the problem without any success, then you may need to make a fresh install of your OS and drivers. If you can make a backup of all your documents before doing this procedure.

texasbullet

Ramon
There might be some videos available on youtube on how to do your fresh install to your computer. Just search for the model number of your laptop.
You will be needing the OS installation disc and the drivers for your video, audio and wireless card.

amywindows2000

i don't know how to do all that and i don't have an installation disc, i think i will have to send it to a repair shop. when my laptop is on, i am now getting a message on the bottom corner of the home screen saying ' this copy of windows is not genuine'.

texasbullet

Ramon
i don't know how to do all that and i don't have an installation disc, i think i will have to send it to a repair shop. when my laptop is on, i am now getting a message on the bottom corner of the home screen saying ' this copy of windows is not genuine'.
Someone else will assist you with this since I am starting to have suspicious about your OS.

TerryNet

Terry
My suspicion is that Ramon was right with his first suggestion--that it may be a hard drive going bad.

Does your BIOS include a hard drive diagnostic? If so, run it.

Also run the disk check you can do from within Windows.

plodr

Liz
The September updates on Dell computers that are running Windows 7 Pro, caused them to lose validation.
That might be the reason for the "this copy of Windows is not genuine error".

As far as the computer taking forever to start in normal mode, that points to a bad driver. If it would also be slow in safe mode, then I'd say your hard drive is dying.

I'm not sure if you can disable drivers from loading in safe mode. I'm also not sure if you can remove updates in safe mode either. If you can, remove KB403777.

amywindows2000

The September updates on Dell computers that are running Windows 7 Pro, caused them to lose validation.
That might be the reason for the "this copy of Windows is not genuine error".

As far as the computer taking forever to start in normal mode, that points to a bad driver. If it would also be slow in safe mode, then I'd say your hard drive is dying.

I'm not sure if you can disable drivers from loading in safe mode. I'm also not sure if you can remove updates in safe mode either. If you can, remove KB403777.
Well i cant do anything because after waiting an hour today for it to start, everything is being so slow and nothing i click on is responding. Also i have windows home premium and i have had updates disabled for 2 years.

texasbullet

Ramon
Can you provide us with your computers service tag number. It should be in a sticker underneath your laptop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online