1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell laptop won’t power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dogluver, Oct 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

My laptop worked fine this morning. I turned it off when I went out. Now I tried to power it up and nothing happens. I have no idea what could have happened. I read online to take out the battery, but wanted to check your site before I try anything. You guys are so knowledgeable. Please help!!!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Post the service tag of your Dell laptop please, should be on a label underneath. With that we can find the exact model you have and help you more easily. If you can't find it post the exact model name instead.

I assume you can't remove the battery without dismantling the laptop ?

3. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Thanks so much for responding. I'm lost without my laptop. The service tag is: 9P8QQZ1
    I tried taking out the battery. Very easy. I watched a youtube video. I unplugged all power and removed battery . Put it back in and the pressed power button for 30 seconds. Then plugged in power cord. I tried this 3 times. It did not work. I see a light so I know it has some power. I think I might have drained the battery when it was unplugged when I went out today. I'm praying it could be fixed easily. I'm not very computer literate so I didn't mess with the RAM like they said in the video. I was afraid. Do you think you can help me?

4. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Update...I left my laptop plugged into power over night and praise God, it turned on!!!! I think I drained my battery. Could I be right? Does anyone know? It's working great!

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You have a Dell Inspiron 3737 - this link is direct to the drivers page. There is a BIOS update that is marked urgent due to a security issue. I would recommend this update if you haven't done it yet... however let's make sure the power is resolved first because if power is cut while the BIOS update is performed, it would make the computer unusable.

Depending on the issue, you may have a bad battery or bad motherboard because if you have AC connected, you should have been able to turn on the machine straight away.

i would suggest running the diagnostics to see what it shows the battery health. To run the diagnostic, turn off your machine, then once you press the power, repeatedly press the F12 key until the message on the top right shows it's going to boot menu/set up menu. Next, select Diagnostics.

Once it's running, you may need to answer questions during the diagnostics. Once you see that the computer is running memory tests, press ESC to abort the testing, then click on the small arrow on the bottom right of the screen to pull up the results.

Look for Battery Health Current and High values. It should be in % values.

6. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all your help. This site is so awesome. I just wish I had all of your computer knowledge. I did the testing, put was afraid since I'm not good with this stuff. My battery health is at 46%. I'm going to see how much a new one is since I'm guessing I should replace it. I think I'm okay to to the BIOS update right?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Dell part 312-1437 $55.74 retail.
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/pfydresults/235783?categoryId=7686

So that would make your battery last maybe 30 minutes to an hour from full charge to 1%, depending on the cells. (6 cells should be closer to the hour mark i think)

I would say wait to see if you have the same issue again before doing the BIOS/replacing the battery.

8. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Thanks again for your help. So, until I get a new battery, I shouldn't do the BIOS update? From what I read it's pretty important. So, can I do it anyway?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You should be doing it with the AC adapter plugged in. You can do it if you wish. I'm just being cautious.

10. dogluver

dogluver Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I read some more and will wait on doing the update. Thanks for your help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice