1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptop Wont Connect to New Internet via Ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Outfoxy, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Outfoxy

Outfoxy Thread Starter

I just moved into a new apartment with a roommate who already has a modem with internet connected to their desktop. I had been using wifi and ethernet at my old place on my current laptop. I'm trying to get my laptop working with this new setup but it keeps saying No Internet and No network access.

Windows 10 Home updated over a Windows 7 factory install
    Processor AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics
    1.80 GHz
    Dell Laptop 2014
    8.00 GB of RAM
    64 bit OS x64-based processor

SURFboard Modem 200 Series
    Model SB6121
    Motorola Arris

I already tried to use the cable my roommate is using and the other ports on the modem, but while they work for my roommate, they don't work for me.
    In the Adapter Settings-Properties I've tried installing Reliable Multicast Protocol with no change.
    I've gone into Command Prompt (Admin) and done a netsh int ipv4 install with no change, as well.

I'm not and advanced techie, but I would say I'm more knowledgeable than many. I feel like the information under the adapter settings are set to what I had at my old place and aren't changing for this new one (if that makes sense?) so I feel like we need to do something with adapter settings, I just don't know what.
    Please help me.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Outfoxy, and welcome to TSG.

Please run IPCONFIG /ALL from the command prompt on both your computer and your roommate's computer while they are plugged into the modem and give us the full results for both.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Arris SURFboard SB6121 is a "cable modem only" with a single ethernet port and has no wireless capability.

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When switching the device connected to a modem you need to power cycle (unplug for 20 seconds or so) the modem.

5. Outfoxy

Outfoxy Thread Starter

Alright, before posting these, what information should I hide for security reasons? I probably shouldn't be giving out certain info, right?
    Right, we're using a switcher for additional ports, but this is unrelated to our issues as we know it works for my roommates computer either way, just not mine. And we're not attempting wifi.

Unfortunately, we tried this with no luck.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Personal information, such as your name if you want to obscure it. And any profanity.

Sometimes a longer power cycle (even five minutes or so) is needed.

7. Outfoxy

Outfoxy Thread Starter

So the longer power cycle made the internet work on my laptop, but now it doesn't work on my roommates pc. We're using a TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch Model TL-SG1005D

Also, the personal information, what does that include? Stuff like the ipv6 address, the physical address. is any of this information I should not be sharing?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now that you know that the modem power cycle is what is needed you need not post the ipconfigs.

If you are going to be staying at this place for any length of time invest in a broadband router so that more than one device can have internet access at a time.

9. Outfoxy

Outfoxy Thread Starter

Welp, we were finally able to get in contact with the company for the device and they said that it simply needs a router to function as we assumed. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help everyone!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice