1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell laptop won't load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hippja, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

I have a dell 1545 laptop that stopped loading windows. I have Windows Vista. When it turned on I ran F12 and have tried all sorts of things... I ran load from On board NIC and it said Media Test Failure (PXE-E61 Media Failure). I ran load from DVD and got it to disk read error. Ran the Diagnostic test and it said SCSI_0_000_Disk_generic_multicard Error code 4400:011A.

I took out the following and put them back in: Hard Drive, DVD Drive, and I re-seated the memory. Still loads the dell logo and then goes to the black screen with the curser in the upper left hand corner just blinking. Any advice would be great

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Can you reach a bios setup screen?

3. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Does the hard drive show there? Can you see boot order?

5. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

Yes and I have tried booting from it and it goes to the same thing.... (Thanks for helping me..)

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

If you do a refresh in bios, is the hard drive still found?

7. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

How do I do a refresh?

8. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

I have run the boot from each of these numerous times and I have un-clicked each one and only booted from it.

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

You may have a choice of "REDISOVER" devices? Recognize devices?

10. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

I don't see that one... When I boot and hit F12 it gives me the choice of booting from Internal HDD (goes to black screen); CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive (which will do and have run reinstall, fix, everthing); Onboard NIC (media test failure message); BIOS Setup (takes me to same page as F2 Dell settings) Not sure where to look for rediscover?

11. Bernardo

Bernardo

In the Dell Settings, can you highlight the hard drive and hit enter? I would think there is a search for drive option somewhere there.

12. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

No luck. I can see the boot options but won't let me re-discover or enter on it.

13. Bernardo

Bernardo

When you try to boot to the DVD, what disk do you have in the drive? A bootable disk?

14. hippja

hippja Thread Starter

It is the Reinstallation DVD from Dell. It gives me choices like repair, re-install, test, etc

15. Bernardo

Bernardo

Try repair first. If that doesn't work, try re-install. It may not even find the hard drive, so, at this point we are testing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice