1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell laptop wont stay powered up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by miavirgo89, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miavirgo89

miavirgo89 Thread Starter

I have a Dell 1525 Inspiron laptop..i believe is about 3 years old. I got it as a hand-me-down from my BF's mother, who took excellent care of it. Ive only had it since February, but it has always run fine, until this past month. 3 times now it has done this to me. The first time, it was just after I unplugged it to take it to a friends house..then tried to power it up about 1/2 hour later and nothing...let it sit for 2 days or so, and then it was ok..now it has happened 2 more times..but these times, it froze up and wouldnt unfreeze..then when I got it powered down and tried to get it back up..nothing...the second time it again took a few days then it was ok..this last time it has been a week and nothing yet. This time, the only thing that is different is that the 3 lights to the left of the power button are blinking, the caps lock, numbers lock and scroll lock icons.. It powers up, then shuts down within 5 seconds or so...but the power light and the one fan keeps running...Ive been told multiple things so far..from a bad battery to bad power cord to bad connection in the lappy where the power cord connects.. I just dont understand why it powered up those 1st 2 times and it wont this time..unless it was just a fluke those times. I dont have alot of money to fix it, or replace things unless i know for sure what im buying is going to work. I dont want to lose whats on it either!! :( help!

2. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Have you removed the battery - plugged it in to the power supply and then turned it on without the battery? Any different indications from what you all ready stated?

3. miavirgo89

I have tried removing the battery, and power cord..pressing the power button for a minute or more..and just plug it in with the power cord..just the battery...ive tried everything...nothing works..i tried taking off the back panel, but i dont really know what im looking for so i didnt touch anything..lol....i just dont want to mess anything up, but if its something simple like the power cord, im all for replacing that...or the battery...

4. miavirgo89

and also what makes me wonder about the power source..it doesnt seem like the battery is charging fully or enough or at all...sometimes when i take it out, then put it back in..it flashes orange for a few blinks..then blue..then stops...then if i let it run for a while just on the battery, then it runs out...then i plug it back in with the cord..it seems to charge it for a while..and the cord does seem a bit loose in the connector... like maybe its not getting a full charge consistently enough..

5. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nENEeyV9MWY&feature=related is a video (copy and paste in browser or search youtube) with some troubleshooting steps that I think will help. Looking at Amazon, I found a powersupply - delivered price about $15. Battery delivered price about $17 and the DC Jack (soldered into mainboard) for just a couple $$. The DC Jack is more complex, but there are also instruction videos how to do that replacement if needed - Might need to take it to a reputable facility, generally they are flat fee, but the bonus is that if you know you do not need the entire board replaced ($200 for the board (guessing retail)) you will know if you are being treated right.

6. miavirgo89

thank you for posting that. So, these problems im having sound like just power supply problems then? Just seems strange that it will power up and stay on, but just not boot windows or anything..

7. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

We do not know yet. Testing should tell you if it is the battery or the power supply or the jack or any combination of some or all....

8. miavirgo89

Well i watched that video..but unfortunately not much of it helped. My battery doesnt have that button or lights on it, the dc jack does seem a bit loose, but not that bad..and i cant even get it to power up that much to get to the bios screen...nothing comes up on the screen..it doesnt even stay powered up long enough to do that. So, thats why Im afraid there is more going on than just a bad power source :( Im thinking im going to have to have someone look at it and let me know.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  10. miavirgo89

No actually they dont..the first one stays lit and the other 2 flash together, pretty quickly. Thanks for posting that though, very interesting..Like I said, this is new to this time..the first 2 times it did this, the lights didnt do this...it also didnt take this long for it to come back to life either..

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  12. miavirgo89

yes,of course its the only one not shown! :) I will try this and see if it does any good! Ty soo much for your help! :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice