1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Laptops any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by professorxox, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. professorxox

professorxox Thread Starter

I know nothing about laptops, but I'm planning on getting a Dell laptop for my younger brother who is heading for college. I did my research and found that not too many places have cheaper laptops than dell w/ the same specs. I hear Dell is a pretty good company overall. Any suggestions?

2. tgal

tgal

I used to have an Inspiron 7500 - got 5 years of useful life from it. I know of at least 8 different people who got the Inspiron 600-M and they all loved it. I know it is not the most current model, but it is definetely worth taking a look at.

3. professorxox

Wow, that laptop is pretty expensive...it better perform well!

4. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Dell's are among the best in the business when it comes to laptops. Fast, reliable and good quality. I would also recommend Toshiba laptops for the same reasons. I've used both and they are excellent.

Professorx, if you're planning on purchasing a laptop right now, you should go on Dell's website. They are currently running promotions on several of their models.

5. professorxox

Ya, I've already looked and it's looking it will be the cheapest model...which is I believe the 1200. He won't be using it for gaming or anything so I think that will suffice. Thanks for your input guys, and I'll also check out the toshiba website.

6. tgal

tgal

When I replaced my Inspiron 7500 I took had a bit of sticker shock, I looked around and ended up getting an eMachine M6807 laptop. I have not regretted it in the least. There have only been three issues with it, one the power supply went bad after about a year, the LCD is not as sharp as I would have liked, and I only get about one hour of use from the battery.

7. professorxox

Are you talking about your dell or your emachine laptop? Why did you want to replace it with an emachine?

8. tgal

tgal

My Inspiron 7500 gave me five great years of service, one of the hinges that held the LCD broke and it was not worth my time nor was the cost to have it fixed since it was out of warranty, the hinges were not designed very well on the 7500 and the 7000 for that matter.

I decided that I was going to replace my laptop, I looked at the Dell laptops but they were out of my price range at the time, so I looked for something that was cheaper and I ended up getting the eMachine laptop as a replacement for my Dell. If I could have gotten a 600-M I would have, the eMachine M6507 had been a capable replacement laptop for me.

9. winbob

winbob

Those are some serious "issues"!!! :eek:

Q: is your resolution set to the LCD's native spec or higher? The native res will give the sharpest images on an LCD display.

Only 1 hour is really sad. I get 2+ on my HP with a P4 chip @3+ GHz, which is a power hog. Maybe you can get a replacement battery with more cells if you need more up time?

10. tgal

tgal

Thanks for the tips Winbob. Yes it is at the native resolution, I was just lamenting that they could have put a better LCD in the laptop at the time that they were marketing this model. The display is ok, I just know they could have done better. With regard to the battery, I can live with 1 hour, I usually lug a portable powersupply with my if I take it out and about, yes it adds weight but I can live with it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/352625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice