1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell laptops

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mcusuman1, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcusuman1

mcusuman1 Thread Starter

What is the easiest way to wipe clean and setup Dell laptops. I have like 4 of them home in good condition, they just need to be Restored. I have tried the whole system restore thing. I want something I can install and start from scratch across all the computers. Is there a version of windows unlocked or something I can use for multiple computers? No I don't have the original discs. they are older Dell inspirons.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try a soft damp cloth. Of course, you may need different items depending on what part(s) need cleaning.

What do you mean by "setup"?

And the results?

If they all had the same Windows version pre-installed and you can still read all the COA Windows Product Keys then all you need is a legitimate copy of that version of XP installation CD. Good luck finding one. :)

If they are all the exact same model then a set of Recovery CDs should work (if such was even provided and still available from Dell or somewhere).

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If all 4 laptops are Dell Inspiron models, they will all have "service tag" and "express service code" numbers on them.
    Advise us what those numbers are so we can correctly identify them and determine which Windows operating system they came with.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I can state from personal experience that the exact same model of Dell desktops don't have the same hardware.

At one time I had three Dell Dimension 2400 in the house. All ran XP. One belonged to us (rescued from someone who was going to throw it out) and two belonged to my husband's nephew. His two computers had problems so he dropped them off here and I set about cleaning the gunk and malware out.

I probably ran something like Belarc at the time to see what the hardware and Windows patches looked like. I remember the optical drives in all of them was different. I seem to remember something about the RAM too. Of course, one might have been ordered with less RAM than the others.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    These are laptops, but your point is well taken, plodr.

"If they are the exact same model and have the exact same hardware" is the corrected version of the beginning of my last paragraph in post # 2. :) Some differences in hardware wouldn't matter, but I'm not going to try to think of and list those.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If and when we get a reply to post #3, we'll know what hardware and what Windows operating system came in each of those 4 Dell Inspiron laptops.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice