1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude 120L drivers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wa5bren, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wa5bren

wa5bren Thread Starter

I have just reformatted a Dell Latitude 120L notebook that was corrupted with loads of viruses etc. I need to re-install drivers for the Ethernet controller and the audio device (showing unknown device).
    Visiting the Dell website to download the drivers is a complete frustration, whenever I click on a driver to download it I am prompted to download their download manager. Having done that it still won't let me download, I get constant message saying no files selected. It just becomes an eternal circle repeating the same actions.

Can anyone direct me to the correct drivers out there somewhere, a (scam) site that insists on me downloading and scanning with their own scan tool is no good because I am not using the dell to find the drivers, and so won't get the desired result. I cannot access the internet on the dell until I do get the ethernet driver at least.

Once i do get that sorted I would assume that connecting to Dell with that will allow the download manager to work properly.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd use the service tag # from the Dell machine and download the drivers with another machine and move them over on removable media.

3. wa5bren

wa5bren Thread Starter

That's how I am doing it. Service Tag and using another machine. or rather not managing to do it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Uninstall the Dell download manager if you've already installed it.

Download the chipset and networking drivers. Watch carefully on the download request and you should get an option to use their download manager or do "browser" download. You want the latter.

Install the chipset drivers first.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

If you think that you are alone in not appreciating the Dell Download Manager (which is less than a month and a half old) check out some of this.

Here are two useful paragraphs from that blog, which adds some to my above advice.

I think "empty your cookies" is supposed to mean to delete Dell cookies, but maybe it will help if you barf. :)

6. wa5bren

wa5bren Thread Starter

I have resolved the Download Manager problem. Dell site telling me I need Net Framework 3.5 with SP1. Err...... knock knock DEll I have it!!.
    Uninstall and clean out cookies etc did it.

Now all I have to do is identify which is the Ethernet controller driver. Device manager wont identify it because it has no driver, it's just unknown device. So if anybody has trawled through already and found it I would be very grateful for a pointer to save me ages.

Bren

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

8. JohnWill

Might be a good one to start with! :D

9. wa5bren

wa5bren Thread Starter

Thanks for the assistance with this everyone, I have now got rid of the yellow question marks. I've lost my wireless network somewhere but that's not computer problem it's more likely to be a physical problem somewhere. Got a 10m cable running from the modem to the back of the pc. But changing my ISP on thursday and will have to re-do everything then. In the meantime just manage with it.

10. JohnWill

We're at least making progress. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/850804