1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude 7480 (Win 7 64 bit) Freezes Only on Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ctc4924, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:56 PM.

Advertisement
  1. ctc4924

ctc4924 Thread Starter

My Windows 7 Latitude 7480 started freezing up (mouse pad doesn't react anymore) about 1 month ago. I have to use power button to turn off and then I power it up in safe mode or safe mode w/ networking. It does not freeze in either of those.

I have come to find out it doesn't freeze when disconnected from wi-fi.

I have also determined that it doesn't freeze when connected to my work wi-fi, but freezes sometimes within 5 minutes if connected to home wi-fi. Can it be a driver or could it be my home router through Comcast? Dell wants to send a new imaged hard drive (they'll send a technician to install it through Pro Support) , but that requires me to back up my entire hard drive and restore everything and I'm not comfortable enough to do that by myself so i would need to hire someone to do it. Help!! Any other alternatives?

Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since
    swapping out the hard drive would not fix the issue you are having with only your home network.

What modem, router or gateway supplied by Comcast are you using?

Comcast is my ISP and I have always purchased my own modems and routers. I don't pay rental to Comcast for a modem.

3. ctc4924

ctc4924 Thread Starter

The modem router is an Arris
    TG1682G. I verified with Comcast that the last update to the modem was 11/15 and I started noticing the problem around 12/6. Could it be a Windows update that is incompatible with the modem? I have Xfi pods hooked up and they worked fine for the last 8 months with no issues until 12/6.

Thanks,

Cheryl

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry, I have no experience with a Gateway device nor Xfi pods.

Contact Comcast and tell them you get disconnected at home on wifi but not any other place. Perhaps they can figure out what is malfunctioning.

There were no Windows 7 updates on December 6th 2018. The updates would be on the 2nd Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2018.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    This is the first time I have ever heard of the mouse / touchpad not working on one particular network. Can you please provide the 7 alphanumeric service number tag of the computer by going to Command Prompt and typing wmic bios get serialnumber so I can look up the machine and drivers?

The modem would not prevent the touchpad from working, more than likely it will be the touchpad or the wireless drivers that could be the cause.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice