1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude C800 laptop drivers for Win 98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SRJ1957, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SRJ1957

SRJ1957 Thread Starter

I have recently purchased a used Dell Latitude C800 laptop. After installing Windows 98SE, I have no sound, no modem appearing in System devices and only VGA monitor resolution.

If anyone can help me with the drivers I need, or perhaps something that I'm missing on the Dell site (which is not user friendly). I just basically want to use basic email with the built in 56K modem, and to be able to view the screen in better resolution than VGA,

Any help greatly appreciated..Steve

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Steve, as a work around you might try this SIW program to try to identify what the components are, having that information may allow you to source alternate drivers.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/siw.html
    Does your keyboard function correctly, that can be a problem sometimes.

(By the way sometimes those machines may operate with better integrity with a Linux Program)

Edit, I just had a look at Dell's site and it appears all the drivers are easily obtainable for that machine.
    I don't understand why you are having problems.
    http://supportapj.dell.com/support/...s=dhs&SystemID=LAT_PNT_P3C_C600&os=W98&osl=EN
    Cheers, qldit.

Cheers, qldit.

3. SRJ1957

SRJ1957 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help-yes the keyboard is working correctly also. I will search the Dell site again and the site you suggested as an alternate...again thanks! Steve

4. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Steve, I think you may not be aware that different versions of that model actually have different hardware items or chips in them.
    This may be confusing when it comes to different items.
    The different software all seems to be grouped in those items.

If you run that SIW program it may help you undersand which items are in your machine and thus which specific drivers you will require.

For instance, with the driver repository arrangement on that site, it shows various categories like graphics etc., and there are a lot of headings which may appear to be not required, however the usual procedure when you properly load operating systems to complex machines, (especially where the machine may be a later generation than the system that may be being installed) is to load the respective drivers in some kind of intelligent order after the operating system.

Windows normally installs a basic selection of drivers to allow a semblence of operation which may sometimes be misleading.
    The normal routine will be to load various board drivers which often may affect the operation of drivers that are loaded later.
    So consider the M/board operational elements before progressing onto the later graphics, modem and sound items.

Consider it a "tiered" layering of order.
    This method will help to avoid problems.

Keep checking your device manager items for yellow exclamation marks.

I would be considering obtaining all the drivers off that site specifically for your machine and placing them on a CD.

Simple things are not always as they appear!
    Cheers, qldit.

5. qldit

qldit

I just had an afterthought, with W-98 and W-ME installations, I always load this little program called Rtools.
    http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/pines/7219/p10.htm
    This makes a separate directory and loads a copy of the basic files for the system boot.

It needs an occasional backup but is really helpful when a problem happens.

If you have a circumstance where your machine won't boot for one reason or another, you simply use a start floppy to allow acess to your drive C: navigate to C:\Rtools then type repair.
    This command replaces all your startup files and gives a completed message, so rebooting normally then usually allows normal operation.

Simple, effective and well worth installing. (lifesaver)

qldit.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice