1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude Cpi Won't Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonEinNY, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JonEinNY

JonEinNY Thread Starter

Hello,

I am new here and will jump right into this. I do have this posed on the Dell Forums but theye are a little slow to suggestions. I have had a terrible time with this Laptop and am desperate for help with a solution.

I bought a Latitude Cpi from a co-worker. This Latitude worked fine for about 2 weeks and then will not work correctly. This has been a problem now for 1 and a half months.

Specs of the laptop:

Latitude Cpi D266XT

PII

64 Megs Ram

Bios A12

Intially when I got this Laptop it had Win2K. The co-woprker had this loaded for the past year and it worked fine with no problems. During the first two weeks I had this laptop I had no modem so I borrowed a Microcom 28.8 modem. Before this my co-worker never had a modem in this laptop. After he bought his new laptop he gave me the Xircom Cardbus 10/100 and 56K modem. When I installed this modem is when I started to see some problems. At this time the BIOS was at A04.

Win2k would load but would not take all the way. It would lock up about halfway through trying to load. I then would shut down hard and restart and it would not load at all. It would run through the BIOS but would not load Win2K. I decided to wipe the hardrive and did a F Disk. I reloaded Win 2K with about the same results although it did fully load one time.

I next tried Win 98. I did this after I formated the harddrive again. Win 98 loaded a couple times and then did the same thing. First it would lock but then I would just get a cursur in the upper left hand corner but no operting system would load.

I next put in Win ME. I reformatted again and Win ME did load a couple times fine. It detected the PCI Controller and Bridge just fine which is a Texas Instruments. Then I shut down and started again and it loaded a "Generic Card Controller and Bridge" . No it is back to the same as above in that it wonÂ’t load WIN Me like the other operting systems.

During this time I am able to get into Safe Mode sometimes. Shut down and restart for the full OS and it does nothing.

I have tried these solutions so far.

Reseated harddrive

Reseated memory

Reseated processor

I have run Dell Dignostics which shows no problems at all.

I have had no fewer that 10 people who are pretty efficeint with laptops and PC's look at this and they can't figure it out.

I am really out of ideas.

Please help I will try any suggestion.

Thanks In Advance,

Jon

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

JonEinNY, Welcome to TSG!!

Don't trust the Dell diags 100%. I've had them show no problem and immediately after the h/d goes bad. :mad:

Seems you have done a lot of trouble shooting so I can offer one more suggestion, pull the battery out and use the AC adapter for power. Some laptops act wierd when the battery is not working right.

You probably know this but the device has a serial number on it, you can also find it in the bios, you can use that to obtain information about it from the Dell web site.

If you need more help post back ...

:)

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi JonEinNY

I would stay with windows 98 as the speed of the processor and amount of memory is pretty low for 2000. have you removed the network and modem card before installing the operating systems? They may be causing the problems. Dell latitude laptops also have problems when the screws in the back cover (bottom) are loose. Make sure that they are all tight. If you load 98 be sure to run the "run me reg" file on the bios upgrade disk.

Also go to the Dell website and down load the hardware specific drivers for your system such as : CMD Technology 646U2 Ultra DMA Controller and video and audio drivers.

4. JonEinNY

JonEinNY Thread Starter

cybertech,

I have tried the power option with the battery, I should have mentioned that. I have not tried the serial number so I will try that, unless you menat the Service Tag which I have tried that. Thank you for the ideas.

Lurker1,

I did remove the network and modem card. I actually found on Microsofts website a few bugs with this card. So as of now I eliminated it from the equation. I started to try to use the Microcom card but the results are the same. Just my luck.

I will try the hardware drivers from Dells site.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    I will post back with the results.

Jon

5. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Serial number is the same as Service Tag.

6. JonEinNY

JonEinNY Thread Starter

Thanks Cybertech. I really am not that in tune with this stuff although I am learning fast ;)

I forgot to mention this but I have noticed that the system will run sometimes when it gets warmed up. Say after 10 or so trys. Almost like it heats up enough and then works. I don't know if this is coincidence or not or if there is something that controls a operating temp? Does anyone know?

Thanks again,
    Jon

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

I haven't seem anything about an operating temp with Dells but you could have a bad component thats on the edge and fails when it is cold.

8. Ash_11

Ash_11

I had the same laptop from my old work. The internal fan died so when it heated up I would get the same problems you mentioned. This also fried the hard drive. My thoughts are that your hard drive is about to go or already has gone.

9. JonEinNY

JonEinNY Thread Starter

Lurker1,

I think you might be right on the bad component. Wait and see I guess.

Ash_11,

Interesting the problems you had with yours. My problems are just the opposite though. Seems to do ok sometimes after it is warm. But cold it does not like anything.

I am now leaning towards a new thinking. I don't know if I mentioned it but this system has a PCI-1131 Texas Instruments Cardbus Controller in it. Sometimes the laptops loads this and other times it loads a "Generic Cardbus and Controller"

I think there is a conflict here. And it might make all the sense in the world. Everytime the system locks up it is just the instant before it would detect and make the loud beep for the PCI Controller.

The windows driver I have found on this is a WIN 95 driver. I am running WIN ME. The Texas Instruments controller itself is obsolete now.

Dell does not have the driver.
    Texas Instruments does not have the driver.

I think the WINDOWS DRIVER is the problem.

ANY IDEA WHERE TO FIND THIS DRIVER?

I searched last night at Texas Instruments, Dell, Driverguide.com and a couple other places.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Again,
    Jon

10. Ash_11

Ash_11

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

I think that all the Dell Latitudes I have use the windows driver found in the .cab files and run OK. However when the bios is upgraded as you have done you sometimes get a new detection of the PCMIA slots. You should check in safe mode and be sure that you only have 2 (not 4) devices showing up In device manager Under (I think) PCMIA. If so delete all four devices and let windows reload the correct two.

12. JonEinNY

JonEinNY Thread Starter

You guys are helping me a ton and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :cool:

Ash_11,

Thanks for the link.

Lurker1,

"You should check in safe mode and be sure that you only have 2 (not 4) devices showing up In device manager Under (I think) PCMIA. If so delete all four devices and let windows reload the correct two."

Here is what it has listed and it does not mean a ton to me. So please tell me what this is showing me.

+PCMCIA Socket
    ----PCIC or Compatible Controller
    ----PCMCIA Card Services
    ----Texas Instruments PCI-1131 CardBus Controller
    ----Texas Instruments PCI-1131 Cardbus Controller

NOTE: on the times when it acts funky it will not load the Texas Instruments PCI-1131 Cardbus Controller but will say "found new hardware" Generic PCI Cardbus and Generic PCI Bridge. If I click to add these it has them in the device manager PCMCIA Socket instead of the Texas Instruments PCI-1131 Cardbus Controller. Sometimes there will be a little yellow circle with what looks like a "i" in the yellow circle.

ANOTHER Note: What is reported in SAFE MODE is differant that what is reported in REGULAR MODE.

IN REGULAR MODE: This is what is reported

+PCMCIA Socket
    ----PCIC or Compatible Controller
    ----Texas Instruments PCI-1131 CardBus Controller
    ----Texas Instruments PCI-1131 Cardbus Controller

Thanks again guys for your continued help and patience with helping me on this.

Jon

13. JonEinNY

JonEinNY Thread Starter

14. Lurker1

Lurker1

Ok that looks correct to me.

It's possible that you are getting an intermittant motherboard failure that causes the Generic PCI Cardbus and Generic PCI Bridge driver to be loaded. This may have been a problem before but the former owner did not use the pcmia slots.
    Unfortunately the only fix I can think of for this would be to replace the motherboard. :(

You may be able to find a used system board from a system with a cracked LCD screen on ebay.

15. JonEinNY

JonEinNY Thread Starter

Thanks Lurker,

I deleted them all anyway and reloaded new drivers from disk. So far so good. I am not holding my breath though.

The former owner never did use the PCMCIA slot so its possible the problem was there and he never knew it.

The idea of a motherboard stinks! I have no clue how much they go for but I bet it ain't good. I may just cut my losses. I had another co-worker off a $100 so if this problem persists its his.

Thanks for all of your help, I really do appreciate it.

If you think of anything else, let me know and I will try it.

Thanks Again for all the help.

Jon

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/128016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice