1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude Cpx laptop fan not working!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by emmalee8, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emmalee8

emmalee8 Thread Starter

Greetings:

My boyfriend and I bought a Dell Latitude Cpx laptop a few days ago. When we first started using it, the blower fan worked fine. But after loading a few Windows updates and games, the blower fan isn't turning on and we are afraid it will overheat. Does anyone have any ideas why the fan isn't working, and how to fix it? We really like the laptop, and would rather not have to return it. It is used, so we unfortunately do not have a Dell warranty. Thanks.

Emmalee

2. Rockn

Rockn

Some of the fans on laptops only run when the CPU reaches a certain temp. If you are sure it isn't running at all DELL may have replacement parts available for it. If you are comfortable ripping into a laptop it is fairly easy to replace.

3. emmalee8

emmalee8 Thread Starter

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether the fan turned on automatically when you started up or not. I'll try running it for a little while and see if that kicks it on. If not, I'll probably return it. I don't want to risk messing it up by replacing parts myself.

Emmalee

4. dzones

dzones

Also there is a program in your BIOS that regulates this fan. It can sometimes mess up or be set at a bad level. I recetly had a newer DELL laptop that had a similar problem and it turned out that model had a faulty BIOS program for the fan regulation. I simply searched the net and got a free little program that regulates your fans from within windows. works great now.

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

The fan is controlled by bios as Rockn said. You can check on the Dell web site to be sure that you have the latest bios version. The new laptops do get very hot befor they turn on. If you have the Drivers and Resource CD that came with the Laptop you can run the fan test on it to see if the fan turns on OK.

6. emmalee8

emmalee8 Thread Starter

Does anyone have any idea how to find that website about controlling the fan within windows? I'm searching and I can find anything.

7. dzones

dzones

let me see if i can find it again

8. dzones

dzones

9. emmalee8

emmalee8 Thread Starter

Thanks Dave! My boyfriend thinks that the fan will work fine now! The program is really great!

Emmalee

10. dzones

dzones

Cool!
    Glad it worked out well for you!
    :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice