1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude D520 Video problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Dell Latitude D520, Model Number PP17L. At present, the hard disk is blank and I am working strictly in the BIOS.

When I got this laptop, I was told its screen didn't work and the user had been using an external monitor for several months. It took me quite some aggravation to realize I had to have its lid fully closed in order to activate the external monitor.

Here are the things I would like to know about:

1) Is there a way to activate the external monitor with the lid open so I can use the laptop's keyboard? At present, the external monitor goes blank instantly on lifting the laptop's screen/lid.

The only settings I can find in the BIOS concerning video are:
    • Brightness on Battery
    • Brightness on AC
    • LCD Expansion
    LCD Expansion has to do with whether the image is displayed with a wide black border or the image is edge-to-edge.

There are no other menu items in the BIOS that could even be remotely interpreted as affecting video.

2) The laptop's LCD panel does flash something for about a quarter of a second on the screen during POST when the external monitor is not connected. My guess is the LCD's power inverter is bad. What other possibilities are there?

2. Megabite

Megabite

There should be a Key combo for switching to external...I think it is <FN-F8>

Have you tried tapping F8 immediately on startup for safe mode

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

4. Megabite

Megabite

Not much you can do in Bios.....having a OS on the HD would help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/841356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice