1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude D520 - Wont Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by makethissound, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. makethissound

makethissound Thread Starter

I have a Dell Latitude D520 with WinXP. I recently acquired a docking station, and so i docked my laptop on it. Now my laptop boots to the XP logo, scrolls for a while, sits with a black screen (lit) for a while, then the screen goes dark and the system reboots. I've tried taking the drive out and doing a chkdsk, and i've tried recover console to fix the boot, but its still doing it.

I had a couple of ideas I wanted to bounce off people before i went crazy with registry editing.

First, i tried to identify the order in which things are failing. The last thing to load before it hangs is cdfs.sys, which tells me that its in the "file system" service group when it fails. Trying to get it to log the boot to another device fails because it cant even mount a file system by the time it goes splat.

What im reading suggests that i've corrupted my hardware profiles by connecting the dock. My question is that if i delete all the hardware profiles from the registry, will that completely fubar any chances i have, or will that just make the system rebuild them from scratch?

Thanks for your input!

2. huggie54

huggie54

have you got the os install disc

3. makethissound

Yes i do, however I would prefer not to perform a "repair" or reinstall the OS from scratch. I do have a disk which will let me get at the system recovery console, also i've got the FalconFour Ultimate Boot CD which has a whole bunch of disk repair, recovery, registry editing and other utilities.

I understand the mentality of "surest path to fix" vs. "fix thats most convenient", but in this case the convenience is heavily weighted.

4. huggie54

huggie54

a system repair will not delete any files or folders you have,just repairs the os

5. makethissound

I am very aware - i do this for a living - but nobody has answered my original question.

What will happen if I delete all the hardware profiles from the registry?

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    im going to say unless u really know what your doing removing things from the registry isnt a good idea. it can trash the computer and make it not able to boot or an expensive paperweight.i would instead do a repair as suggested and if that doesnt work then do a complete reinstall.im going to ask the obvious have u tried running the computer without the docking station? i had a dell laptop yrs ago i dont remember the model that had that feature and i never used the docking part and it ran fine. hope this helps.

7. makethissound

I'm plenty confident working in the registry. Its not a big deal to backup the registry and restore it if it gets even further fubar'd.

Of course i removed the dock - and haven't reconnected it since. Docks are great(when they work). Docks are the entire reason i prefer Dell laptops when my clients need portable computing for business and commute between multiple workspaces.

I expect that there may actually (now) be a problem with the hard drive - at a hardware level.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice