1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude D600: Hard Drive getting HOT!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1captaincrunch1, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1captaincrunch1

1captaincrunch1 Thread Starter

My D600 is getting very hot over the hard drive. I purchased another one and it too is getting hot. So hot that it's uncomfortable to type much.

I spoke with a couple local computer store owners and got two answers. One told me that the HD was going bad. That's why I bought another one. The other told me that was Normal with Dell's, especially the Latitude series.

Now what? I've had this computer since 2006 and I don't remember it getting this hot until just the last several months.

Any advise? Is it a bad hard drive or just the Latitude itself?

What would you do if it were yours?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it could be the fan that blows air around the machine is blocked and so cool air is not circulating

I would not expect the laptop to be too hot to type - but I do have a HP laptop - 2006 - that gets quite hot when on my lap

I would check the air flows - and blow out with compressed air
    then I think people with Dell experiance should answer
    you may be able to get a cooler running 2.5" HDD

which model did you replace it with - and what speed a 7200 rpm model will run a little hotter than a 5400 rpm

3. 1captaincrunch1

Wow, that was fast, thank you!

I replaced it with the same OEM Fujitsu 40G, don't know what RPM.

I took the laptop apart at first thinking it was clogged, but the fan is clear and the CPU doesn't get hot, just over the HD. I will take it apart again and see if I missed something.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    perhaps you have been unlucky and have another faulty unit - The drives you are buying are they new or 2nd hand - unusual to find a 40G drive these days

5. 1captaincrunch1

OK, I'm back . . . .

Just took it apart and cleaned it, but the fan only blows over the CPU cooler, not into the laptop and nowhere near the HD.

I bought it supposedly "new" off ebay . . . yeah, I know . . . . .you get what you pay for . . . . . .

I'll try another drive, I guess.

I was just wondering if this WAS design fault in the Latitude's.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    need to wait for someone with that model to reply

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/958861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice