1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude d600 Will Not Recognize ANY HD Pls Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CalliGirlie818, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CalliGirlie818

CalliGirlie818 Thread Starter

Hi ALL, I am in dire need of some help so I can hopefully fix this laptop before I leave abroad Monday.

I bought this laptop about a year ago, and a few months ago a cd walkman (of ALL things) fell onto the keyboard and smacked it really hard. It pretty much broke the toshiba hard drive inside, (i know next to nothing about hard drives) but I KNEW it broke because of the constant clicking/squeaking and beeps.. thus resulting in me buying a new hard drive from Ebay, from an ad stating it was a hard drive compatible for the d600. So I went ahead and took out the caddy, carefully slid out the old hard drive and slid the new one in. Screwed it shut, made sure everything was in place and of course I boot up, the primary hard drive is showing a big 0 and cannot boot. I boot to windows xp disc, and it will not download onto the hard drive because it is showing up as missing, and showing up as NONE in bios where it says PRIMARY HARD DRIVE. :(I really did not know what to do. I went into bios and reset the bios, nothing. I opened up the case as somebody mentioned to me to take the battery off of the mother board and put it back on again to erase prior CMOS(?) and I could not even find where the battery plugs onto the mother board to take it off (just two wires, god knows where they connect). I was also told to check the jumpers. I found NO jumpers. I saw where the hard drive plugs to the mother board on that lil caddy but did not find any jumper cables. I also did the Diagnostic test, and the hard drive showed Fail, as it is not detected. So I took out the new drive, put the old back in...

It now wont even detect the old one! I am at my wits end and there is no way I can afford to take it to the shop by Monday. Is there any hope? I have the screwdriver here and I'm pretty good with computers step by step, I know this hard drive should be ok as it is brand new.

Specs:
    New Hard Drive - Fujuitsu IDE 40 gb
    Old Hard Drive - Toshiba IDE 30 gb

Intel Pentium M Centrino 1.4 Ghz
    RAM
    512 MB 266 Mhz
    HARD DRIVE
    40 GB
    SCREEN
    14.1" Ultrasharp SXGA+ display with Truelife
    VIDEO CARD
    ATI Radeon 9000
    OPTICAL DRIVE
    CD-RW
    AUDIO
    Sigmatel 975
    WIFI
    Built-in Wireless Internet
    ETHERNET
    Integrated 10/100 Network card and Modem
    BATTERY
    Lithium Ion battery

2. Hughv

Hughv

You can't assume a drive is good just because it's new.
    OTH, the fact you can't detect even the old drive suggests you've connected something incorrectly, or there was additional damage from the Walkman crash.
    I suggest you start over and double-check all the connectors.

3. bonesy24

bonesy24

I had a similar incident last year. After purchasing and returning 3 drives because they said they were compatible but weren't, I found that my old drive had an "adaptor" (I'm not sure what it's actually called.) on it and the new one did not. Check your connections, on mine, the one had like a board and the other was pins. All I had to do was slide the "adaptor" off my old hard drive and slide it onto the new one.

4. Hughv

Hughv

He couldn't have gotten the drive in without the adapter.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/810941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice