1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude D600 Worth Fixing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cnaguy, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cnaguy

cnaguy Thread Starter

Hi Everyone! I thought I would trying posting a question before blowing more money on used computers! I bought this cool little Dell D600 that may have been over priced for $475.00 that has no internal wireless or CD writer! It's a P4 1.6 with 512 Memory and a 30 Gig Hard Drive that had XP Pro with Office 2007 and Adobe Pro with a great McAfree Virus scan program. It was working great until the small hard drive filled up and started that clicking sound before a hard drive crashes. I don't know if I blew it by filling the drive up or if it was a bad drive. This laptop was suppose to be refurbished too.

Anyways, having had buyers remorse over a used computer that no longer works after a few days, and knowing I could have bought a Compaq AMD Athlon Dual Core for $75.00 more do you guys think it's worth fixing my Dell? The only reason I bought this Dell is because I have a Dell now and wanted XP, not Vista. The Compaq Dual Core has Vista and I don't really care for Compaq. So do you guys think its worth fixing this Dell or do you think I should see if I can get the Compaq with Vista. Are Compaq's still that bad? Is Vista really that bad? Or do you think its worth fixing this Dell even though it would cost as much as a new Compaq Athlon Dual Core even though I don't care for Compaqs and may be a stripped down Compaq. Sounds dumb but anything would help.

"One Baffled Lot":eek:

2. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

Hi-

It may still be possible that your system is still under warranty. Have you called our support techs to see?

In any case, rather than go out and spend another $550 on a different computer, I would say it is definitely worth the money to spend $75-100 on a new hard drive. And no, you didn't kill the hard drive by using it. Hard drives fail from time to time, and there isn't an accurate way to predict when the inevitable will happen.

If you need any help, I am a support analyst at Dell headquarters, and can help speed any process along if you need me to.

John
    Dell Customer Advocate

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

For $60-75 where you have that much money in, I would replace the hard drive.
    And yes Compaqs today really are only the promo line of HP who now owns them, and to my way of thinking HP are the best laptops going.

4. matt0155

matt0155

no, i find hp to be garbage

5. cnaguy

cnaguy Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replys! The hard drive and wireless were covered by the small company I bought it from. They already sold the Compaq. So I didnt have to spend more money after all. I wasn't too sure so I was in a panic, so Thank You! As for my opinion, I have never been a big fan of Compaq myself, that is why I didn't get it in the first place even though it was new. I have been really happy with Dell products. I hope they keep up the good work! If anything, they are so easy to work on which I am so greatful for. Anyways, thanks for your help!

6. thefunksobruva

thefunksobruva

Hi: I read the comments from above, and I'd sure like to buy a cheap replacement hard drive for the Dell Latitude D600 that fell into our lap. I can't seem to repair it.

Can anyone direct me? I'm not nearly as familiar with laptop hardware, but I'm comfy with desktop stuff.

Thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/634890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice