1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude D630 is down and out for the count?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 4N1M4TR1X, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4N1M4TR1X

4N1M4TR1X Thread Starter

I recently acquired a Dell Latitude D630. It only had one issue, the battery was bad. I can deal with that.

After having it and using it, working fine of course, for about a month or two it shuts down on its own and restarts. Thinking "okay, that's a bit weird but its working fine" I go back to browsing the web only to have my screen discolor to a shade of pinkish purple with a hint of the matrix and freeze up for a period of two minutes. Then it goes complete glitch and my screen flashes with an almost statically distorted image where it then tries to blue screen but the screen display is so messed up I can barely tell what it is.

And so I restart it. Nothing off or wrong when I login to my admin account. Everything works fine for ten mins tops while I am running a virus scan and a sys diagnostic. Near the end of the processes I run it does the same thing.

In normal boot, I can get 5 minutes top before it complete fritzes and restarts itself, after screen distorted images.

safe Mode with Networking works fine, when I can even connect to a network.

All I want to do is play a game or browse the web but I can't even do that now. Any and all ideas, fixes, etc would be greatly appreciated!!

UPDATE:
    Well...it seems even worse than I thought simply because now I can't get past the initial Dell Logo at the boot without a lit up black screen and that annoyingly persistent beep. With a slight opportunity for a beautiful, peaceful white screen to counter act said beep. But mainly a black screen.
    Popped opened the laptop to find everything properly in place. Still at a loss though.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Dell beep codes mean something. There is a pattern.
    Count them and distinguish between long and short.

3. 4N1M4TR1X

4N1M4TR1X Thread Starter

three short evenly spaced beeps before I shut it down if I recall correctly, was playing flappy bird at the time so I'll just have to turn it back on later to listen to it again

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Three quarters of the way through your post I was ready to advise downloading from Dell's web site and installing drivers (beginning with chipset). But your "UPDATE" section indicates some serious hardware problems, and maybe you are getting a better idea why that PC was available for somebody to acquire. :(

Here is some info on Computer POST and beep codes.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have multiple memory chips try with a subset of them.

Also, Memtest86+ is a popular memory test.

6. 4N1M4TR1X

4N1M4TR1X Thread Starter

the specific beeps that I heard appear to be more inclined to motherboard failure. I'd be better off building a comp myself I suppose. Not a big fan of Dell either way Lol

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I too think that the motherboard is very suspect, but it doesn't cost much to cross your fingers and test the RAM chip(s).

8. 4N1M4TR1X

4N1M4TR1X Thread Starter

That's true, too bad I haven't got money XD

9. 4N1M4TR1X

4N1M4TR1X Thread Starter

I'd check the site if the computer was working properly, on my WP8 til I can either get it fixed or take it apart and get some good pieces to sell...or smash it, whichever comes firstXD

10. 4N1M4TR1X

4N1M4TR1X Thread Starter

will keep unsolved for a day or two until I can properly allocate the beep code to here instead of my ears for possible further analysis.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the "service tag" and/or "express service code" numbers on that Dell Latitude D630 laptop?

----------------------------------------------------------

12. 4N1M4TR1X

4N1M4TR1X Thread Starter

not entirely sure, will check for it after I get some sleep

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice