1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell latitude D630

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bs953, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bs953

bs953 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    ok I pulled a real boner and it has me going nuts. I bought a used Dell D630, the unit had/has a bios boot password. Well the price was good has an extended battery etc, clean machine etc. I thought what the hell I should be able to work around that! LOL wrong
    anyways while trying different key strokes while booting I found a combo that did something. As the unit is booting I held the CTRL key down and mashed the 'D" key (not the delete key "D" as in Delta) a zilllion times, well the password screen came up with normal text except a now it showed a few garbage characters, ok it is doing something. I repeated the boot and mash three more times and finally came up with total googly gawk. Cool maybe I got somewhere, did a reboot with no mashing.....oop's NO video, unit lights up, drives come on back light comes on NO nothing no text no boot no post screen nothing!

Removed cmos battery, took out battery unplugged power held down the power button for minutes...walla nothing. It appears I bricked the unit? it wouldn't even boot up with a live cd. So now have I just flushed 150.00 down the toilet? from key combos? I even tried the external monitor that didn't work.....any ideas? Thanx all

2. Hughv

Hughv

"googly gawk"? I like it.
    It's probably more likely you loosened or detached a cable while removing the CMOS battery. Check your work.

3. bs953

bs953 Thread Starter

It had the 'symptom' prior to the cmos battery removal, the cmos removal was in an attempt to correct the newly created problem....:(

4. Hughv

Hughv

Sorry, I missed that.
    I don't see anything in what you did that could cause this. Maybe a stuck key?
    The usual way to remove a B IOS password is to remove the CMOS battery

5. bs953

bs953 Thread Starter

I had a spare keyboard, no go

6. Hughv

Hughv

I'm out of ideas. The Dell forums are very good, and they're likely to have more experience with this model.

7. bs953

bs953 Thread Starter

ok thanx, I figure just get another mobo. That would make my investment 300.00 for a good laptop drop in W7 ultimate what the hell, with an extended battery...guess I can't complain about that.!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice