1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DELL latitude D800 USB not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rennes, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rennes

Rennes Thread Starter

Hi,
    If i'm writting this, it means i'm completely stump. I've search about everywhere for this and I can't find what's wrong.

I have a DELL latitude D800 running windows XP pro SP2 (fresh install) and anything I plug in the USB ports, it's not recognise by the system.

What I tried:
    1. plugging in different USB products in different ports
    2. re-installed chipet drivers
    3. verify all BIOS settings are correct, reset all to default since I couldn't find any setting to "enable" usb on this board
    4. Open laptop and see if there is any jumpers on the motherboard that has some "usb" disabling capabilities.
    5. Verify inside windows if the USB hub is installed in the device manage and it is.

please help :confused:

-Marc-A

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Have you tried something that was self-powered? (an external hard drive with its own power supply or a printer)
    If those don't work; either one of the USB ports has bent pins or the chip on the systemboard is toast.
    If they do; but, devices that use power from the USB port don't work, the chip that applies 5 volts to the USB ports is bad.
    The second you can "workaround" by using a powered USB hub or maybe find someone who can replace the part (its only 8 pins). The first would need the systemboard replaced or you could buy a PCCard, USB adapter.

3. Rennes

Rennes Thread Starter

Hi Davis,
    I plugged in a scanner in 3 different USB ports and ... nothing. It's knowned good scanner so I know it's not the scanner.

As for the USB hub, it has to be plugged in a working USB port right? So that's probably out of the question.

So I guess the chip on the motherboard has gone bad ... awwww

Thanks for helping,

Rennes

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

5. Rennes

Rennes Thread Starter

perfect!

Thanks again,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice