Dell Latitude E520 not working...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mediaracoon

Hi folks, here is my problem;

Got this machine from ebay. It never worked. Seller 'no longer registered' so Im stuck with it. Please help me fix it..

I press the power button, fan gets going, slight buzzing noise then dvd drive spins once. About 10 seconds go by then there are 2 beeps, then the front panel displays 1 2 3 in green.

Ive looked around the forums and tried a few things:

Checked all connections on drives etc and on the mainboard (only connector not actually connected is marked p7 which is for the floppy; which is strange because the floppy is already connected to the mb via a different cable and there seems to be no place for the p7 to go!; so i removed the floppy connector at both ends and tried to power up
Same outcome as above

Reseated ram in all possible orders (all ram sticks work on another machine)
Same outcome as above each time

Replaced the hdd with a hdd from a reeeeally old machine
The outcome this time was the same except instead of the process taking 10 seconds it took 40 seconds. Also I could actually this hdd spinning a little whereas there was no activity with the original
Also during this 40 seconds 1 2 and what looks like the battery symbol were lit up in green, before going to the usual 1 2 3

Well that's as far as ive come. Any and all advice is welcome I'm willing to try anything here

Thanks in advance and sorry for going on ;)

mediaracoon

Hey Oddba11,
Thanks for your reply
This is what the manual says. My comments/updates in red

Another failure has occurred.
• Ensure that the cables are properly
connected to the system board from the
hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive (see
"Drives" on page 86). Done. More than a few times..

• If there is an error message on your screen
identifying a problem with a device (such
as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the
device to ensure that it is functioning
properly. No messages on screen, no bios, in fact nothing on screen at all. Ive removed all non-essential devices. Same outcome when i try to power up.

• The operating system is attempting to boot
from a device (such as the floppy drive or
hard drive); check system setup to ensure
that the boot sequence is correct for the
devices installed on your computer (see
"System Setup" on page 113). Cant get into setup as there is no bios

• If the problem persists, contact Dell (see
"Contacting Dell" on page 124). Last resort.. Oddba11, any ideas, suggestions? Willing to try anything. Also I bought a diagnostics kit on ebay from pctestcardsdotcom and am anxious to use it..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online