1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude E6500 Does Not Boot After Sleeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpiderRider3, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiderRider3

SpiderRider3 Thread Starter

Hi guys. This is a problem with my Dell Latitude E6500 that's been occurring for a few months now. A while ago, I noticed I could not put my computer to sleep through the Start menu options. Clicking the Sleep button would make the screen fade to black, but the fan would stay on and the power light remained steady. Then, moving the mouse or pressing a key would make the lock screen appear immediately. Closing the lid still put the computer to sleep and opening it would wake it up.

Then one day opening the lid stopped waking the computer up. It would make the power light stop blinking and turn steady and the keyboard backlight would light up. Sometimes the fan might even spin a bit. But the screen would stay black and no amount of moving the mouse around or pressing keys on the keyboard will wake it up.

If I hold the power button down until the computer shuts off and try turning it on again, the power light illuminates, the num lock light comes on, and sometimes the fan might come on too, but nothing shows up on the screen and they all only stay on for a few seconds before going out. Sometimes the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock lights above the keyboard will blink when this happens. At first this was only happening if the battery was below around 50%, but then it started always happening no matter what the battery was at.

Sometimes pulling the battery out and reinserting it fixes the problem. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes plugging the charger in when this is happening will cause it to boot again, but that helped more when this first started happening and doesn't seem to make much of a difference now. The only thing that's sure to fix it is to leave it alone for about an hour. Usually in this hour I leave it plugged in, but I don't know if that affects it or not.

I hope you guys can help. This is a real pain when I'm using the laptop at school and close it to carry it between classes.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3059 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238355 MB, Free - 32066 MB
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0PP476
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice