1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude not recognizing drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jaybeeCT, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaybeeCT

jaybeeCT Thread Starter

Hi all, happy Holidays :)

I have a Dell Latitude E4300 that was given to me by my father. It was a mess with spyware and viruses so I wiped it clean, and reinstalled Vista. Now it doesn't recognize the drivers anymore. I can't connect to the internet via wireless or by cable. The device manager shows those yellow caution signs under other devices (Base System Device, Broadcom Controller, Network Controller, SM Bus Contoller and Video Controller). It also shows one for the VGA Graphics Adapter. When I expand them in Device Manager it says "the drivers for this device are not installed." I tried to download from Dell.com but it didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been using Mac's, because of work, the past 6 years and I've lost my familiarity with PC's. I know nothing about Vista or this computer.

Thanks in advance :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    was vista originally installed on the PC
    there should be a label with a TAG number on the PC - post that back here

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You made the mistake of not identifying that computer's devices and obtaining the Vista drivers for them before you did a hard drive format and clean install of Vista.

Advise as requested what the 7-character service tag number on the sticker is. That will allow access to the Dell support and software site that's specific only to that computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!