1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude Set Up Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shinew, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shinew

Shinew Thread Starter

What do you do if your Dell Latitude w/ 233 processor won't offer you a set up screen? The laptop works fine..but at start up....pressing fn +F1 or F2 doesn't put you into set up mode? Thanks! Bill

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

3. Shinew

Shinew Thread Starter

Hi.........thanks for replying to my question.....but I still have no luck. Whether I hold <fn> <f1>, or even <fn> <f3> (which would take me to page 3 of SET UP for the battery.......I cannot go into SET UP mode. Usually when you start a DELL LATITUDE laptop, in the top right of the screen it sez "SET UP F1". But not on this one! Very odd. Is there a boot disc that could help me? Thanks!

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you tried tappin the Delete button during boot?

5. Shinew

Shinew Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommedation, but tapping the delete key didn't work either. I've been tapping all kinds of combinations.......but nothing will trigger SET UP. Maybe its a motherboard issue.

6. FatalError32

FatalError32

Try using F8 or F12, those work on Dell Workstations. I'm not sure about the laptops though right off hand.

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Maybe a bad FN key? Try plugging in an external keyboard and use that to get into setup.

"If you are using Windows 95, press <FN><F1> at any time on the built-in keyboard (or <Scroll Lock><F1> on an external keyboard if the External Hot Key option is enabled). If you press <FN><F3> (or <Scroll Lock><F3> on an external keyboard if the External Hot Key option is enabled), the System Setup program opens directly to the battery status screen."

Could you post the exact model number or the service tag? Then If your systems not a CPIA I can find out what you have. You can also remove the hard drive (one or two screws) and boot. Sometimes Dell laptops will enter the setup or tell you what key to push to enter setup if they don't find a bootable device.

If your laptops bios is up to A10 level and its a CPI-A this should work.
    "Added ability to enter System Setup by pressing <F2> during POST"

8. Shinew

Shinew Thread Starter

Thank you. When I removed the hard drive it let me enter into Set up mode. Thank you again very much!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/398009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice