1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Latitude will not boot, help??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joyof60, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Latitude 620 laptop, running XP pro. A few months back it would not boot nor charge the battery. I assumed the problem was the battery so I bought a new battery from Dell, it installed nicely and I let it charge for about a day. Now either on battery power or with the AC connected the laptop will not boot. Upon pressing the start button, the green 'power' light comes on and the 'disk' light, (this is what I call it, it looks like a stack of platters, and is located right beside the power light) comes on very briefly, maybe 1.5 secs and then goes off. No beep, no whirr of any drive, no noise and nothing on the screen. Any suggestions? How do I troubleshoot this? Any advice at all would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Latitude D620 laptop is several years old, so it's very possible that the hard drive has died and needs to be replaced.

A reputable computer technician should be able to determine if it's the hard drive or some other hardware issue.

If the hard drive needs to be replaced and Windows XP reinstalled, it probably will cost you more than what the laptop is worth.

You might consider buying a refurbished D620.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00-299^34-200-299-TS,34-200-300^34-200-300-TS

I've bought 3 refurbished Dell laptops in the past year and have been happy with them.

------------------------------------------------------------

3. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Thanks! So not much I can do with it? Shame, its been a good little laptop.
    Appreciate the advice. I'll be shopping!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you do buy a refurbished Dell Latitude D620, hang on to that new battery that you bought from Dell for the non-working D620.

Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Would a new hard drive be a bit cheaper?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Only if you have the Windows XP disc and you know how to format the new hard drive and do a clean install of Windows XP in that laptop.

You need to confirm first if it's the hard drive that's the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

I have the disks, and I believe I could work through a format. How do I tell if its the hard drive for sure?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is a good pictorial and instructional guide on doing a "clean" install of Windows XP Pro.

You'll know if the hard drive is bad if it doesn't allow you to boot from the Windows disc and complete the format/install process.

---------------------------------------------------------

9. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Ok, It won't boot from the CD Rom, and I can't get into BIOS as it only tries for two and a half seconds before all disc lights go out and it sits dead with just the power light on. (Nothing on the screen) I really don't mind buying a new HDD if I was sure that's what it was. Any other ideas other than scrapping it and buying a new laptop?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've got no way of confirming from here if its the hard drive, but I suspect it is.

A reliable computer repair technician can confirm it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

11. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Ok, I got it to boot, did a clean full install of XP, updated all, but upon any restart I have to toggle the power button on and off around two dozen times before it will run. Would that help in confirming the hard drive failure? By the way, thanks again for all your replies and help.

12. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

It just rebooted and I got a blue screen with this

*** Hardware Malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor for support
    NMI: Parity Check / Memory parity error
    *** The system has halted ***

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That sounds like a problem with the memory(RAM) modules.

If I recall correctly, that laptop has one module inside a compartment on the bottom of the case, and has one module under the keyboard.

----------------------------------------------------------

14. joyof60

joyof60 Thread Starter

Wouldn't hurt to upgrade the RAM anyway, right? That would be easy enough.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Latitude D620 laptop supports up to 4 GB of RAM - 2 GB in each slot.

Installing a 1 GB or 2 GB DDR2 PC2-5300(DDR2-667) module in the compartment on the bottom of the case is easy.

If the second module is located beneath the keyboard, it's a difficult process.

Make sure to disconnect the power adapter and remove the laptop battery BEFORE starting.

--------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice