1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell M5030 - Beeping at me...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 99luked, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

Hello there,

Appreciate you taking your time in reading my post, I just hope someone can help me here!! I have a Dell M5030 which was working fine, I shut down properly one night to find next morning when I powered it up I get 8 short beeps and no display.

According to dell, 8 short beeps means: Display memory read/write error - The system video adapter is missing or defective.

What do I do next? Can the video adapter be replaced like it can on a PC, or is it onboard and I'll need a whole new motherboard replacement? I'd be really greatful if someone could help....

One thing to note, if I plug it with a VGA cable into an old monitor, the monitor shows the laptops display perfectly!?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! :D

2. Megabite

Megabite

Have you tried in Safemode by tapping F8 immediately on startup and see what happens

3. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

The laptop beeps at POST, so I can't try that

4. Megabite

Megabite

So it is still beeping when you say it works OK on a VGA external screen but you see the post screen?

5. Megabite

Megabite

Could be the Motherboard.......solution usually is to replace the motherboard as the graphics are integrated ....depending if it is cost effective.

6. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

Thanks again for your reply. No, if it's on an external screen it all boots up fine with no beeping. However if it's not plugged in to an external display, its then that the beeping starts.

Thanks

7. Megabite

Megabite

It maybe the screen then if the problem doesn't happen on a external one.

Have you tried installing the video card driver when on external.

8. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

The video card driver is still installed, however this wouldn't affect POST would it as the drivers are for when windows loads?

The keyboard has now stopped working. There's been no exposure to heat/water so I can't understand what's happened here. Is it likely to be the motherboard? Or coincidence and both screen and keyboard have failed.

Again thanks for your help

9. Megabite

Megabite

If you have important data on that PC then I would see if you can get the Hard drive out and put it on another PC as slave or put the Hard drive in an enclosure and connect it to another PC.

If the keyboard has stopped working you could try the onboard one

10. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

I'm not bothered about the data, I want to get the laptop working....?

I'm guessing you mean use a keyboard through an onboard port? Again I'm more interested in getting the laptop working. Cost me £389 13 months ago, it's outr of warranty by just 1 month.

Thanks again

11. Megabite

Megabite

12. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

I'm more interested in repairing the laptop, not using an on screen keyboard or recovering data as you mentioned above.

Thanks for the advice but the screen doesn't work at POST, the beeps indicate a hardware failure/fault. A system restore will restore Windows to factory state but this isn't the problem I've got. The problem I've got is the system displays nothing on the LCD, it bleeps 8 times. I'm wondering if this is likely to be a motherboard fault, video controller fault, or LCD fault...

Again thanks for your help but your offering me support as though it's a software fault.... or am I miss understanding something here?

:confused:

13. Megabite

Megabite

Yes I do understand what your looking for......I only suggested that as a last resort and you say the screen works on external...so I thought you could use that to reset to factory, but it does sound as if some hardware on the motherboard has failed.If so then you will have to have it check at a repair shop.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice