1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell mini 10 won't prompt for hard drive password after standby

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bearspa, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

I'm not sure where to post this problem. My Inspiron Mini 10 with XP has a hard drive password, and it asks me for it when I turn the computer on. However, when I put it on standby, either by turning the computer off in standby mode, or by closing the lid, or by pressing the on/off switch, and then restart it, either by opening the lid or pressing the on-off button, the computer does not prompt me for the hard drive password, which it should.

What can I do to fix this? Please note that I am referring to the hard drive password, and not the administrative password.

TIA

2. Electron2418

Electron2418

Im not sure if you can change this maybe if you update BIOS it may help. basically HDD password protection prevent to using HDD in another computer and it is checking pwd only when you power on HDD. If you want to secure your PC why dont you just set up System password and this should work even when your computer go to standby.

3. valis

valis Moderator

actually it's a bios issue; I've not seen a case where the bios password is prompted after achieving the GUI state. Not entirely sure that that is possible. It's there primarily to prevent data loss after a laptop is stolen.

4. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

Valis, you're right. It's set in the bios, and the reason I want it is to protect the data if the laptop is stolen. However, if it is stolen while it hasn't been turned off (often the case while travelling), then I'd like the thief not to be able to recover it when the lid is raised. I know I can encrypt the data, but that would seriously tax the netbooks. Some of the Dells apparently have this feature (asking for the password after sleep).

I've been told that a Windows administrative password is easy to get around.

5. valis

valis Moderator

again, I've no idea of how to set a bios password to come back after sleep or hibernation. You can try PGP, dunno how much it costs, or if they sell individual licenses. I do know that when I travel I always have my laptop either in use or in a backpack that I'm wearing; in the latter case it's turned off if I am not using it to conserve battery power.

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

7. valis

valis Moderator

thanks, macboatmaster.

closed that one as well. We've got responses here, so we can just keep it here.

Is this a personal pc or a work pc, Bearspa?

8. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

Thanks, Valis. It's a home PC, and I guess I'll just have to make sure there is no confidential information on it.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

9. valis

valis Moderator

de nada, what we're here for. I treat my laptop like I do my wallet, and besides being robbed once on the street, I've never had either stolen.

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I would have thought a strong and complex Windows password would be sufficient. So long as there's another different one protecting the Administrator account so no-one can go in Safe mode and delete yours, it's as good as it gets. Making that one a requirement when coming out of Standy is a simple Windows setting.

11. Bearspa

Bearspa Thread Starter

Not to be contentious, Valis, but you had said:

"actually it's a bios issue; I've not seen a case where the bios password is prompted after achieving the GUI state. Not entirely sure that that is possible."

This seems reasonable, but I just realized that this is what happens on my Inspiron 1525, i.e., it asks for my harddrive password after being put on standby. Wonder how they do that?

12. valis

valis Moderator

dunno. Probably in the bios settings somewhere, I would assume. If it's the Dell drivelock, I think you can configure it that way........BUT not entirely sure.......been a while since I was working on Dell's........

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!