1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell motherboard failed, replacement laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slyaccord, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slyaccord

slyaccord Thread Starter

So I found this laptop Valkyrie CZ-17 17.3"

Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0,
    Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery

This is what I customized it at

Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.7GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

Memory ( 32GB [8GB x 4] 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory] - Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 4GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-17] )

Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB 5400rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive )

Optical Drive ( 6X Blu-Ray-R/8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 24x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-17] )

Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

USB Ports ( Built-in 2x USB 2.0 Ports + 3x USB 3.0 Port [Laptop] )

Video Camera ( Built-in 3.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera )

My question is the difference between DDR3-1333 memory and DDR3-1600. Then the harddrive, I can get a 1 TB 1 5400rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive, or pay $400 extra and get a 480 GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Single Drive.

I'm not planning on gaming with this laptop, I just want something that can handle a lot and last a while. This laptop is priced at $1900 through IBuyPower.

Am I avoiding the motherboards that have the Nvida chips in them? I was told thats why my motherboard failed was because of that chip.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    RAM speed is dependant upon the motherboard chipset and cpu. But you aren't likely to notice a difference between those two.

HDD/SSD - depends on how much space that you need for storage. If the laptop supports two HDD's, then simply get a smaller SSD for the primary drive and you can add a second HDD later. Otherwise, for the cost involved, I would simply keep the standard HDD.

There is no reason to avoid nVidia.

3. kotje

kotje

if your not gaming or using high demand programs I see no reason to change anything really
    OK, you could put in a SSD drive but still that's a nice system surely for someone that doesn't game.
    CPU could be better but I doubt you will notice the difference even if you throw 1000 $ towards your CPU. I do believe the CPU is the weakest link in your setup.

still upgrading seems useless to me if I were in your shoes.

4. jamesx121

jamesx121

if you aren't video editing or using CAD. do you
    really need 32 GB of memory????
    extreme over-kill

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice