1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Motherboard: Trying to find some information for upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedShellhead, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RedShellhead

RedShellhead Thread Starter

Hello there,

I'm trying to upgrade my wife's computer; the problem, however, is that she's running on a Dell XPS system that's about... two years, this December. The general specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz
    RAM: 1Gb DDR2
    Video Card: 512Mb GeForce 7300GT

I'm trying to upgrade her system since we game a bit. Everything was fine until she started looking at Age of Conan. At the very least I know she needs more memory. I have a feeling she'll need a video card upgrade, but I'm going to do one thing at a time and start with the less expensive memory upgrade.

That being said, I'm having a little trouble getting the information I need to be certain I get compatible memory, and eventually, a compatible card. I just downloaded and ran CPU-Z to get some more specific information, but the damn motherboard is apparently made by Dell.

Dell 0YC523
    Chipset: Intel i945P/PL/G/GZ

I'd like to bump her up to 4 gigs. She has four slots, but on the new computer I just built only two of the four slots seemed designed to accommodate normal memory. If her motherboard is the same then I'll need to buy 2 sticks of 2GB, instead of 2 sticks of 1GB.

So, I guess my question is, can her motherboard accommodate 4 sticks of memory, or only 2? Regardless of how many modules I can use, what kind of memory would you suggest?

I suppose I should also solicit video card suggestions since, as I said, I have a feeling her current card won't cut it.

Thanks very much for the help.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

This is the nest memory really and guaranteed to match:
    www.crucial.com
    That's all she needs or I should say what will provide the best boost and if you put your model in, the configurator will show you what you can use.
    Although 7300 GT is a weak card for gaming. You can pick up an 8600GT well priced these days under $100 with 512 ram onboard and various rebate deals that would also be a good idea.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Dell should have the board specs listed on their site. What is the model number of the machine?

If you are going to upgrade to a more powerful card, then you may also have to make a power supply upgrade.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/721366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice