1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chuckd1991, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuckd1991

chuckd1991 Thread Starter

I have a Dell 4300 that I bought in late 2001. I know that the power supply and motherboard connectors are most likely proprietary, but is the motherboard itself proprietary?

2. chuckd1991

What I meant was, can I buy another board and put it in with a PSU adapter or another PSU?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes the motherboards are proprietary in most cases - this is why you need a special Dell powersupply to connect to the motherboard.

Not only are the P/S proprietary, but they are generally unpowered, so you probably wouldn't want to use it eevn if you could.

In fact there may be very little you can actually reuse from the Dell. You are currently looking at a new mobo, CPU, powersupply and likely a new case(recommended). Plus depending on your model - a video card if the Dell one is intergrated into the motherboard and maybe RAM if the the Dell uses Rambus Memory. You may also need a new floppy depending if it has a front face or not.

4. chuckd1991

I checked the PSU and the motherboard connection and they are not proprietary. The connection is the starndard ATX-style 20-pin connector. It also has the ATX12V connector. But will a board by another manufacturer fit in the case?

5. chuckd1991

I read somewhere that Dell stopped using the proprietary PSUs and connectors back in 2000.

6. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Be very very careful! The ATX20 connector in the proprietary version looks identical but for the wire colours.

I hope it's true they stopped that. I wouldn't touch them if they didn't. ;]

7. chuckd1991

I checked the wires with a diagram in Scott Mueller's "Upgrading and Reparing PCs." It shows the standard wiring and the Dell wiring. Mine is definitely standard. Also, one website I visited listed the 4300 as one of the models with the standard wiring.

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

I don't know about the 4300 but most of the earlier Dell motherboards required a dell case. They used strange spacers and extender cards to get the components to fit in the case. Some of their cases use vent hoods over the CPUs for cooling also. The best you can do is check if the components, motherboard mounts, slots etc line up with the Dell board.

9. pronute

pronute

You probably can use the Dell case, however depending on the components your using the PSU may be underpowered and give you future headaches, and the front panel connectors will give you problems too, because it's a gang connector and the motherboard more then likely will not match. That's why on a standard ATX case the front panel connectors are all separate. And another thing most commercially produced computers are setup with unremoveible standoffs if there is any standoffs where the there isn’t a mounting hole on the board the case is useless.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice