Dell No-Fault Warranty

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gator14

I'm looking at purchasing a new Dell laptop. If I were to buy their no-fault warranty that covers accidental damage is there anything that prevents me from dropping it every year-and-a-half or so and getting a new computer? Anyone have any experience with this service?

Thanx,

Gator

I guess you'd have to be the type of person to whom the moral question about committing theft isn't a dilemma.

And you'd have to be the type that doesn't worry that such actions result in higher premiums for everyone and might lead to such insurance being withdrawn for everyone

Oh, and you'd have to be the type that's naive enough not to wonder if just mebbe Dell isn't stupid and hadn't thought of such a scam.

Beyond that you'd have to check the small print of the insurance...you'll probably find that it's not a 'new for old' policy and you'd either get your repaired machine back or an 'equivalent spec/value' refurbished model.

Why dont you just steal a new one every year, that way you could steal what ever make or model you choose, like I always say "steal what you like, like what you steal"

gator14

The reason I asked was that it seems to good to be true and when I contacted Dell their explanation didn't clear things up much. I've never damaged a laptop but my new job entails bringing it to construction sites and I thought it might be prudent to purchase the warranty. I just wanted to know if anyone had purchased this plan and ever had to use it.

Gator

gator14 said:
The reason I asked was that it seems to good to be true and when I contacted Dell their explanation didn't clear things up much. I've never damaged a laptop but my new job entails bringing it to construction sites and I thought it might be prudent to purchase the warranty. I just wanted to know if anyone had purchased this plan and ever had to use it.

Gator
hey thanks for being a good sport, actually i would have just came out and asked them "if i break this thing every year are you goig to replace it?"

What brite said - thanks for being a good sport (y)

I think you'll have to look at the conditions of the warranty..I wouldn't rely on what some operator says over the phone as that won't help if they get it wrong. If it's not somewhere on the Dell site ask an operator if they'll send you a copy.

Firstly, I'd check whether any types of use/occupations are excluded...you might find they specifically exclude cover for (ie) construction sites.

I'd also check exactly what the replacement policy is...ie is it 'new for old' or simply repair or replacement with a refurbished machine 'of comparable spec'? If you're working circumstances are not excluded, then even a repair/refurb cover could still be a good bet depending on the cost of the cover vs your assessment of the likelihood of damage.

I don't know whether you're employed or self-employed...but apart from considering the Dell option, the first thing I'd do is ask your employer/client what insurance cover they offer against the risk of personal injury/damage to personal property while you're working for them at a remote site. If the sites belong to third parties (ie not your employer/client), then I'd also ask the site-owners about their insurance cover for contractors working on their site.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online