1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell not recognizing ext USB HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by screamerUSA, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. screamerUSA

screamerUSA Thread Starter

I've got an E1705 and in the Hardware Wizard I get USB to IDE Bridge when I try to use this Toshiba ext USB HDD. Any thought's, ...screamer

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Here's a basic question for you:

What is an E1705? Can you post a link so I can learn something about it before I try to advise you on how to fix this problem? :D

3. screamerUSA

Dell E1705 is a laptop ;)

4. Soundy

Soundy

Yeah, more info would be helpful... particularly, what version of Windows are you running? I recently had an issue with adding an external drive to an older Win2K machine - Device Manager recognized the interface was there, but Disk Management would not see the drive itself. Applying the latest Win2K updates solved that (had to take the machine home, as there wasn't an internet connection on-site).

Also... have you tried the drive on any other machines? Have you tried any other USB storage devices card reader, thumb drive, etc.) on this machine?

5. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

OK, thanks for that info... I get the feeling that your motherboard chipset drivers aren't fully installed, need updating, or might have been corrupted. Did you repair / reinstall / "FIX" Windows anytime recently?

You can download a fresh copy of the MB chipset drivers for the E1705 from a link on this page:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/...eid=R114079&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=149851

On that page, you'll find two links to download from; one is through a webpage (http site), and the other is a direct link to the Dell FTP server (ftp site). It does NOT matter which site you download from; choose one, and if the download fails or is too slow, try the other site...

The file you want is named "R114079.EXE"; FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PAGE to start the MB chipset driver installation process, then follow the on-screen prompts as directed.

Keep in mind that Windows does a LOT of housekeeping during reboots, so do NOT try to avoid or delay rebooting; allow Windows to reboot and your chipset drivers will be reinstalled. Once you get back to the Desktop, you SHOULD be able to get your external USB HDD working properly...

IF NOT, copy ANY and ALL error messages you see EXACTLY as they appear, and post them here so we can help you analyze this...

The file you need to download is only ~1MB in size, small enough to fit on a floppy disk, so you should have this taken care of fairly quickly, unless you have a more serious problem hiding behind that Hardware Wizard message...

Good luck... Let us know how this turns out... Hope you can update us soon...

6. screamerUSA

I already D/l'd and installed R114079.EXE prior to posting. In fact, I was in chat support w/ Dell for 2hrs. They say there must be a driver for the ext hdd. It's a toshiba MK6021GAS. I checked and can't find anything resembling a driver for this HDD. I know drive is good since it shows up and works on my toughbook. I normally have another ext HDD connected to this laptop, but I want to switch it out w/ the new one. So, yes, All USB ports are in working order.
    Thanks for the thoroughness

gotta get some sleep, but I'd appreciate anything you care to share about this situation

Oh yeah: Win XP MCE

7. screamerUSA

Ya know what... I just got an RMA from the ebay seller, I'm returning the drive. I'll buy a WD instead.

Thanks for the prompt and through attention.

Good night,

...screamer

8. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

There ARE problems with that Toshiba drive when used in a "self-powered" USB enclosure; I'm writing a DETAILED description for you, so you'll know why it doesn't work without a DEDICATED +5V power supply. Of course, the USB cable does NOT supply the proper amount of current needed to make the Toshiba drive spin up...

Wish I had better news for you; I'll post the gory details later, so check back tomorrow to get the full scoop...

Buenos noches,

PL

9. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Follow-up post; gory details enclosed...

The error message you originally mentioned ("USB to IDE Bridge") indicates that this IS a chipset driver problem, and now that you've provided more information, I did some more research on the Toshiba HDD itself. As it turns out, this is NOT a typical MB chipset driver problem; I found out that your Toshiba drive is KNOWN to have problems when people attempt to use it as a USB device, because it requires too much power (in watts, at startup / spinup) when installed in a "self-powered" external USB housing... see this page for some details:

http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/txt/usb/

Though that page refers to using Linux as the OS, the problem will occur in ANY OS, because "self-powered" USB devices (no external power connector) can't supply the amount of current required to make the Toshiba drive spin up, which isn't good news...

If you found a USB enclosure that provided an actual +5V directly to the drive (IOW, power NOT coming ONLY through the USB cable), you just might get that HDD to work in an external enclosure... BUT, now that you've decided to RMA the drive, I guess that is a moot point.

Well, I hope you have better luck with a different HDD; you'll probably have to choose one that is known to work in self-powered USB enclosures, or buy a different enclosure (NON-self-powered) that can provide enough current to make the HDD spin up...

Keep punching, and good luck finding an HDD that will work with your enclosure...

10. screamerUSA

Thanks PL, nice find!

I wonder why it works w/ my Panasonic Toughbook?

...screamer

11. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

How is it connected to the Toughbook? As an external device?

12. screamerUSA

Yes, w/ the cable that came w/ the ext hdd. Strange huh??

Now I'm wondering, do I return all the hdd's I bought. 3pcs. All for different laptops, or just return two that do not work w/ the Dell and keep the one for the Toughbook.

13. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Yes, but in X-ray repair, it is well-known that GE systems run the unregulated +5VDC line at +15VDC, and Panasonic might have done something similar to make their T'books more compatible with external enclosures like yours, OR, this just might be a lucky coincidence for you and Panasonic...

14. screamerUSA

Point taken. I guess I'll keep one and return two.

Thanks again PL :)

...screamer

15. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Keep punching, screamerUSA, I think you're up to speed on everything you need to know now...

See you in the ether...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice