1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Optiplex 6x 620 Locked in Sleep mode.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by littledigger, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. littledigger

littledigger Thread Starter

This machine is locked in sleep mode as verified by the screen. No amount of keys pressed or mouse toggled will open it. Also i can not open the disc drive. There is a amber light on on the motherboard. I turn the power off for 1 hour and then turn it on you can hear a click then all stops except for the lights (incl switch on lights)
    I replaced the ram with a known one from another computer, that was the only spare part i have. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

2. DerekC

DerekC

Welcome to TSG, Little.

More information would help, like what was going on before this issue started. Was anything installed or uninstalled, hardware or software?

This entire line is a little confusing. If the computer is off for an hour, and clicks when you try to power it on, it definitely is not in "sleep mode". Sounds like a hardware issue, possibly overheating. What kind of computer is it? MB specs and such.

3. littledigger

Hi the computer is a Dell Optiplex 6X620 with a service tag B8H8G1S
    I may have confused you. When i try to turn it on nothing happens, so i pressed the + sign on the screen and it states. " In power save mode press any key or move the mouse to restart" nothing happened so after a few attempts i turned the power off, about one hour later i turn the power on then i pressed the start button, it tried to start but all that happened was that click then nothing.

4. littledigger

sorry for the confusion the computer had been idle for a month i had been away.

5. Hughv

Hughv

Have you tried Safe Mode?

6. littledigger

Sorry i can not get anything on the screen

7. littledigger

Hi Hughv i just tried to start the computer with the keys F8. F10.F9. nothing happened

8. Hughv

Hughv

I don't think this is a sleep mode problem.
    Try booting from a CD.

9. littledigger

Hi i wish to thank DerekC and Hughv you for their assistance, as of now it looks like i will take it to a repair shop. Until next time have a nice day to everyone

10. LaptopNomad

LaptopNomad

It seems it's locked into POST - the pre-BIOS self test before BIOS starts.

Read about the reseating the processor / memory / adapter cards and try again.

11. littledigger

Hi Hughv sorry can not open the disk drive

12. littledigger

Hi LaptopNomad I tried as you suggested but nothing happened

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/871120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice