1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Optiplex 740: Power switch Green flash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnCross, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnCross

JohnCross Thread Starter

I'm trying to find a definitive, possible/likely cause for the following scenario:

Power outage a few days ago due to hurricane (no voltage spikes or any other apparent, similar issues) -
    Power restored, everything normal -

Hit power switch on PC:
    Nothing but flashing Green.
    - No Amber
    - No number code lights
    - No beeps, no sounds
    - No fans
    - No apparent attempt to boot at all

I put in a new MB battery as I'd had a previous indication that was needful.
    The only other thing I've done is UNplug and REseat the Power Supply unit.

* I understand that "Blinking Green" is supposed to indicate "Sleep" or "Power Saving" mode but it's been without power for 5 days and it doesn't just 'come back on in Sleep Mode'.
    Nor does it "blink several times and turn off" - rather, it blinks indefinitely until I hold the power button in until it stops as if to 'power down'.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    When you replaced the CMOS battery, did you boot into the BIOS and change to the current date and time?

Power up and start tapping the setup key (F12) and see if you can get into the BIOS.

3. JohnCross

JohnCross Thread Starter

That's the whole point - it will not boot.
    As stated above, in the OP:
    Nothing but the flashing, Green power button.
    No processor activity, no fan, no sounds ...
    Absolutely nothing more than the single, Green, 'blinking' LED on the power button.

* The "AuxPwr" LED on the MB *IS* lit.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You need a replacement power supply and the Dell part number is printed on it somewhere (D P/N). If you have another generic ATX power supply, you can test things by plugging that one in. Your description indicates that the power supply is sensing an immediate overcurrent condition which is why the power led flashes. There is a slight (5%) chance that it is the system board; but, the over whelming odds are that it is the power supply.

plodr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice