1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Optiplex 760, video card upgrade = Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tahva13, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahva13

Tahva13 Thread Starter

Ok, so to start off here is the type of computer I have.
    https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3270322867890471493?q=dell+optiplex+760+dt+graphics+card+upgrade&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.91665533,d.b2w&tch=1&ech=1&psi=AuE6VaPGPMTysAX__oH4CA.1429922060776.5&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX8aZDIEMd1n43BXygIllXw0Kgkt4fmaAOzpPKGcQhZStkTabJgiJxZSYldOEKJqa5kiXCKALkF9utEAJuzrEVdnPyE3ettbHVD3cbmcp3s0FWalALRIZAFPVH72RsAXbuER8eu6HC31oihHxhq-ZUA
    It is a Windows 7, Dell Optiplex 760.
    It has 4 GB of Ram, and an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 2.33 Ghz
    I am looking for a graphics card that I can install in this computer that will be powerful enough to allow me to play Skyrim on highest graphics settings.
    Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a graphics card that would fit in my computers casing. Also I've found that some graphics cards need to to plug in with PCIE express cables.
    I'm not exactly super techie so tell me if I stated something incorrectly.
    But anyhow, my question is;
    What is the best sff graphics card that I can get to fit this computer? And is this computer exactly sff?
    I ask because it wouldn't fit a normal card, but I'm not sure if that means it's sff...

2. replay

replay

you have a dell sff (small form factor) pc....this pc was not designed to play video games
    if u were to buy a decent "half height" video card that fit the dell............ then u would have to buy a more powerfull power supply to power it
    then there would be airflow issues and overheating
    starting to get the picture??? it is just not worth it!!!
    sell the dell and lokk into buying a GAMING pc that will play your video games (sorry for the bad news:()

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your Dell OptiPlex 760 appears to be the "desktop" or "small form factor" model.

The "desktop" model has a 255 watt power supply.

The "small form factor" model has a 235 watt power supply.

Besides the fact its power supply won't be able to handle the demands of gaming, its cramped interior will cause a overheating issue.

You're wasting your time trying to make a gaming computer out of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice