1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Optiplex GX110 locking up on start after reloading OS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hopeless-newbie, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopeless-newbie

hopeless-newbie Thread Starter

Hello,

I hope someone has a suggestion. I recently lost my ability to get online. Apparently I downloaded something nasty (I think it was dialafix.com) and I ended up having to strip my system and reload Windows 2000. I thought it went smoothly but the system kept locking up when I'd try to reboot. I re-installed several times over several days always with the same results. After a couple of very frustrating days I found a forum that mentioned that Optiplex GX110's have an nVidia card pre-installed that must be disabled or the system will lock up at the conclusion of installation. (Why do they throw these tricks in when they build computers!?! Is it just to keep us computer illiterates from attempting repairs?) I switched to the onboard Video Controller, hooked the monitor to the onboard port and reloaded again and appeared to be up and running. I then switched back to the nVidia card and switched the monitor back and started reloaded everything I'd wiped out.

Unfortunately now every 2nd or 3rd time I turn on the machine it stalls. I switch back to the onboard video controller and switch back the monitor, switch it back again and I'm good for 1 or 2 restarts. I feel like the victim of a bad joke. Has anyone experienced this? Did I miss some crutial step and I need to load the OS again? I just spent days getting all my anti-virus/Spyware/other protections re-loaded and I hate to start over again. Does anyone know of an easy fix? The onboard troubleshooter doesn't cover this.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!