1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell OptiPlex GX110 Project.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WebGuy16, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WebGuy16

WebGuy16 Thread Starter

Hey
    I recently came into possesion of a PIII Dell optiplex gx110 that was given to me by a friend. However the reason that he gave it to me is because "it's broken"... I would like to try and fix it so i can use it as a test server. When i plug the dell up, i get no picture on the monitor, i also get 2 high pitched beeps and the hdd access light stays on the entire time. I went to Bios Central{.com} but couldnt find the one that fit... I was guessing it was the video card but wanted to know if this is a valid guess before i went out and bought one. Also i was wondering if anyone knew of or has a video card that i could buy, im talking any (pci only) video card that will work (even if its like 4mb). I am grateful in advance. Thank you.

Ps. I have never seen this turned on and do not know the exact specs of it except that it is a pIII.

2. winbob

winbob

Are you sure this person was a "friend" :rolleyes:

I Googled: Beep Codes

to find for you:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Check this out for the type of BIOS you have...look at the name on the BIOS Chip.

And if you need a cheap Video card....just go buy one. The postage to send one to you would be more than the cost of a cheap PCI card!!!

3. WebGuy16

WebGuy16 Thread Starter

Thanks for you quick response! I already tried googe'ing the codes but still couldnt find them, that link has no dell related codes. I would also like to thank you for your suggestion and tip about the video card, but where as i live in a very very small town i will need to order one because i can not just go buy one. (Do you think it sounds like the vid card is bad or is that just a place to start? And if the hdd is bad the bios would still come up right?)
    Thanks again!

4. Cell

Cell

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

You might try booting up with only the floppy drive connected (no Hard drive or cdrom) And see if you can get any kind of display on the monitor.

6. WebGuy16

WebGuy16 Thread Starter

I have, i dont get any display at all. I was expecting to get the bios saying that everything was missing, but nothing, which is why i think its the vid card.
    Thanks Though...

7. Derrick

Derrick

Yeah try a cheap pci card see if that works

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To get something on the monitor you must have the following and they must be working properly: CPU, RAM, Motherbaord, Video, Powersupply. Everything else is optional and not required for the computer to POST. If the memory is missing or faulty you will not get anything on the screen, same goes for the CPU, motherboard, and power supply.

9. Cell

Cell

i might have missed something but if you think the vid card is bad why not take it out and use the motherboards onboard video to see if it will boot.

unless you already tried that...in which case disregard! :)

10. WebGuy16

WebGuy16 Thread Starter

Im sorry, thats my own stupidity, there is no vid card just the onboard vid. My fault. But i took it to one of my friends computer places, they said they would check it all over for free and let me know whats going on with it.... I figured this would be easier then buying a vid card in case thats not the problem! Thanks for all of your help. I will however let you know what they say, unless im not suppose to?
    Thanks again

11. Derrick

Derrick

Is this what you have? Product/Model/Rev Dell OptiPlex GX110 500MHz/Rev. A03
    CD-ROM Drive Toshiba XM-1902B; IDE; Spin Rate 24x
    CPU Intel Pentium(r) III; 500 MHz
    Hard Disk Drive Western Digital AC28400; 8.44 GB; Enhanced ATA/IDE
    Host Bus Adapter Intel Integrated ICH 82801AA Ultra ATA/66 EIDE
    Video Adapter Integrated Intel 810E chipset; 4 MB; SVGA
    BIOS A03
    Bus Type 2 PCI
    Computer Type DeskTop
    Floppy Type 1.44 MB
    Mother Board Revision A00
    RAM 96 MB
    System Test Kit Version K

12. Cell

Cell

no by all means let us know (unless the rules wont let us...but i dont think they would mind) that way if it happens again to someone else we will be better prepared! ;)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice