1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Optiplex GX260 Bios problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xmann922, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

now this system was a problem from jump seemed to run great after i got the operating system on i went to dell.com updated all the drivers got to the bios flash driver downloaded it it ask to reboot now nothing doing it starts gives the lights on the tower that it is running but no video to the monitor anything i can do tech support at dell told me they couldn't help me because this system came from a Friend who got it at an auction

2. Claymore

Claymore

Take a look here - it may not match your system exactly, but removing/replacing the CMOS battery (about the size of a quarter) is the most recommend if you can't get into the BIOS to rest to factory.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Someone with more Dell experince than I may have a better solution, or the Dell website - Support may have an article..

3. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

I'm going to try this today and let you know clay thanks i hope it works im not about to want to buy a new mother board right now i hope it works!!!!!!!!!!!

4. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

i tryed tis there is still no video to the monitor i hope this things bio chip isnt smoked it rebooted when i run the flash and stoped now it runs but no video

5. Claymore

Claymore

It may not be the BIOS, but can you get into the BIOS - probably the Del or F2 key on your machine - and check if there are different settings for video or video card. Also look for a Reset to Factory option?

6. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

thats the problem there when the firmware update rebooted that was it it boots up to nothing the machine runs lights drives turn the dvd rom opens but no monitor it goes to sleep

7. Claymore

Claymore

OK. I went and looked at a Dell Optiplex 270 which is probably similar to yours. Not much of a BIOS (it's a Dell - what can I say?). Of course you can't see your BIOS with no video, but it does create a System Event log. It shows the video controls but they're not changeable.

All I can suggest is you check the monitor cable at both ends. Try starting with no monitor attached, then restart with the monitor attached.
    If you had another video card that could be installed, you could try attaching your monitor to that, but that's a long shot.
    Of course, we've learned that flashing the BIOS is fraught with danger and not always a good idea (Geez, no help there, Claymore!).
    You could try going back to the Dell site and downloading either the same or another earlier BIOS flash and try that.

8. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

you are being more help then not i will try to reflash again i know not to trust a DELL now lol i will give you an update when i got off work this evening thanks claymore!!!!

9. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

you wouldnt think that maybe the bio chip has been smoked

10. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

does the machine show any video as it boots like del logo then goes black as it continues to boot? Can you enter the bios setup?

try booting into safe mode windows will run generic video drivers..if the machine boots into safe mode reinstall of the video drivers are required

no not reflash the bios as this could render the pc useless

11. caperjack

caperjack

flash bios only if the updated bios has a fix that your computer needs ,its possible that your flash went bad,its possible that you bios chip is toast,and will need to be replaced , ,therefor you should try a reflash in my opinion .
    Remember the bios chip is to the computer ,what a pair of skates is to a skater!

12. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

the monitor and floppy work with this system the computer fires up no video blip at all i flashed the bios to fix a bios lock problem i know its something dumb but any help is great ...............thanks

13. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

ok update i put another video card in and nothing i actually noticed that there is no activity with the hard drive light or anything i think the only functionality of the dvd rom is just power for its not doing anything i checked all the board caps and didnt notice anything unusall

14. caperjack

caperjack

hi,did the update tell you it would fix the bios lock problem you were having

15. xmann922

xmann922 Thread Starter

yea but it shut the bios down so it wont do anything

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice